An everyday favorite, this slow cooker honey mustard chicken recipe is as easy as 1-2-3. With just a few ingredients, you’ll have dinner ready that’s all made for you in a slow cooker or crock pot. This recipe for honey mustard chicken has a great combination of sweet, savory and tangy flavors, all cooked wonderfully slow until the chicken is tender and fall-apart delicious.
The addition of soy sauce adds a wonderful touch of savory umami flavor that balances well with honey, mustard and vinegar. Choose either boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs and you can use bone-in for more flavor. We love chicken thighs! 🙂 And you can serve this delicious slow cooker chicken recipe with your favorite rice, pasta or even in a sandwich. It’s delicious!
This honey mustard chicken recipe is so moist and tender. You can keep it whole and cut the chicken in chunks or you can shred it.
Our Favorite Cookers:
Whether you prefer a slow cooker, pressure cooker, or a multi-cooker, these kitchen counter appliances help make dinner a little easier for the busy household:
Just shred the chicken with two forks gently …
and voila! The best slow cooker honey mustard chicken recipe!
Slow Cooker Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe
Yield: Serves 4-6
Total Time: 4 hours
Please read post for more recipe details
- 2 to 2.5 pounds (910g-1140g) boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup (120ml) honey
- 1/4 cup (60ml) soy sauce (or Tamari for gluten free)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) mustard
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) malt vinegar (or distilled vinegar for gluten free)
- 4 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, or to taste
To thicken the sauce (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) water
- In a 4 quart slow cooker, combine honey, soy sauce, mustard, malt vinegar, garlic and black pepper. Stir to combine all ingredients together well.
- Add the chicken and press chicken down to cover it in as much sauce as possible.
- Cook the chicken 4-5 hours on High or 6 hours on Low until the chicken is moist and tender.
- Stir the chicken about 2 times, if possible, during the cooking and push the chicken down so it's immersed in the sauce.
- Optional: to thicken the sauce (do this about 1 hour before chicken is finished cooking). Make the corn starch slurry: mix cornstarch and cold water in small bowl. Stir the mixture so that all the cornstarch is completely dissolved, leaving no lumps.
- Quickly stir in the cornstarch slurry into the crock pot teriyaki mixture and combine well so that the cornstarch doesn't thicken and become lumpy. Finish cooking for the final hour.
- Serve the hot and delicious chicken over rice, pasta or in a sandwich!