Slow Cooker Tomato Sriracha Chicken Recipe
Slow cooker chicken with sriracha is the perfect slow cooker meal for all of you who love spicy food. The flavors of sriracha hot sauce, stewed tomatoes and slow cooked chicken in a crock pot or slow cooker is amazing. What you have are endless delicious dinner possibilities. Let’s get started!
Slow Cooker Sriracha Chicken Recipe
The wonderful flavors of this slow cooker chicken recipe are the spicy tang of sriracha hot sauce, stewed tomatoes and sweetness from honey. You can cook the chicken to where it’s tender to be eaten as a whole piece. Or you can slow cook the chicken longer to have it super fork tender and shredded to perfection. That’s what happens when you make chicken recipes in the slow cooker, you can have different textures for different dishes.
Video: Slow Cooker Chicken with Sriracha and Tomato Sauce
Boneless skinless chicken breast or boneless thigh meat
Both of these types of chicken meat are great. If you want extra flavor, use chicken thigh meat. The dark meat will take about the same time to cook and it’ll be super juicy and amazing. If you like both types of white and dark meat, you can use both as well for this recipe. What ever you do, it’ll be delicious. This recipe has not been tested with bone-in chicken yet, but if you try it please leave a comment below for the results. Thanks and enjoy!
Add Carrots, Potatoes, Squash
To make this more hearty, you can add chunks of carrots, regular potato, sweet potato or squash into the crock pot before cooking. That way all the firm vegetables will be soft and tender when the chicken is finished cooking. If you want to add softer vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower or zucchini, just add it about halfway through cooking. This ensures that the veggies won’t get too mushy when everything is finished.
Slow Cooker Sriracha Tomato Chicken
- 2 pounds (907 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs , about 3-4 chicken breasts or 7-8 chicken thighs
- 15 oz (425 g) canned crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes
- 1 onion , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) fresh ginger , minced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Sriracha hot sauce , or to personal taste
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) honey
- 2 Tablespoon (30 ml) distilled white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) fish sauce or soy sauce (or use Tamari Fish Sauce for Gluten Free). But fish sauce tastes much better.
- 2 Teaspoons (10 ml) sesame oil
- 1 Teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt , to taste
Cornstarch Slurry to Thicken Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) water
- In slow cooker, combine crushed tomatoes, onion, garlic, ginger, sriracha hot sauce, honey, vinegar, fish sauce, sesame oil, and salt. Stir to combine the sauce.
- Add chicken and push it into the sauce until it’s immersed.
- Slow cook the chicken for about 3-4 hours on HIGH or 5-6 hours on LOW, or until the chicken becomes the texture that you want.
- For a more soft, shredded chicken, cook it longer. Taste the sauce then add additional salt and pepper, if needed. Cut or shred the chicken to your desired size.
- Make the cornstarch slurry: Combine the cornstarch and water. stir to remove all lumps. Then pour the cornstarch into the chicken and sauce. Gently stir and close lid and continue cooking for about 10 minutes OR until the sauce is thickened.
- Serve chicken with noodles, rice, pasta and make sure to pour the delicious sauce over everything! Or shred the chicken in tacos.
Nutrition Information per Serving
Serving Crock Pot Chicken with Sriracha Hot Sauce
The juices from the crushed or diced tomatoes in this slow cooker chicken recipe add the nice light sauce that can be poured over pasta or rice. This spicy sriracha chicken recipe pairs perfectly with hearty starches.
- Great pairings are with penne pasta or your favorite pasta noodle. From macaroni to spaghetti, this sauce will be amazing.
- It’s even great on rice or grains of your choice. From brown rice to quinoa and couscous, there’s always something comforting about tomato sauce chicken on rice.
- If you only want to eat the chicken when it’s shredded, add them to tortillas for sriracha slow cooker chicken tacos. Our crockpot sriracha chicken makes great tacos, burritos and quesadillas.
- Or add the chicken into slider buns for chicken sliders.
- Simple chicken sandwiches are great with this spicy, tender chicken.
Our Favorite Cookers & Goodies for Entertaining:
Whether you prefer a slow cooker, pressure cooker, or a multi-cooker, these kitchen counter appliances help make dinner a little easier for the busy household, plus with an added bonus of some of our favorite finds for entertaining:
The original slow cooker. On this on the lid locks down which is great for transporting to potlucks and such. Simple, inexpensive and reliable.
It has cult-like following for a reason. It’s a pressure cooker and so much more. Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, & Yogurt Maker. It’s awesome! If you want a pressure cooker that has a few more bells and whistles (like hands free steam release), this Breville Pressure Cooker is also great.
If pressure cooking is a not your thing but want a bit more than just a slow cooker, this multi-cooker is perfect for you. It can Sauté, Steam, and Slow Cook. Perfect to create those one pot meals.
Storing and Freezing Slow Cooker Chicken with Sriracha
If you have leftovers, freeze them in airtight ziplock bags and containers. You can freeze it for up to about 2-3 months. We don’t like to freeze leftover chicken for too long because it can get freezer burn and dry out. And if you’re interested in learning more about the history of sriracha hot sauce, this is a great article.
Easy Sriracha Roast Chicken Recipe
If you love sriracha and chicken, you’ll love our oven roasted sriracha whole chicken. It’s juicy, flavorful and best of all, the sriracha gravy is to die for. Here’s our sriracha roast chicken recipe. Enjoy!