If ordering a chicken tortilla soup is a ritual during your visit to your favorite Mexican restaurant, then you might want to make your own version of homemade chicken tortilla soup in the slow cooker or crock pot. Best of all, you’ll have some leftovers to be able to enjoy for the next day, or two. It doesn’t get any easier and more delicious than this slow cooker chicken tortilla soup. All you have to do is add everything to your slow cooker and walk away. After it’s finished, the wonderful aroma of this easy chicken tortilla soup will fill your house and you might not want to order it in a restaurant again.
Watch the video for making the Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup:
In fact, you can customize the spices in this chicken tortilla soup recipe to your own liking. Whether you like it extra spicy or not, you can make it all your own. The wonderful part about this recipe is that the slow cooker makes the chicken very tender. You can use either chicken breast or dark meat chicken like chicken thighs. The flavor is just wonderful and it’s easy to make this chicken soup recipe a full dinner. Just add a dinner salad and you’re ready to feast!
Our Favorite Cookers:
Whether you prefer a slow cooker, pressure cooker, or a multi-cooker, these kitchen counter appliances help make dinner a little easier for the busy household:
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Yield: Serves 4-6
Total Time: 4 hours
Please read post for more recipe details and photos.
For the Soup:
- 1 pound (455g) boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs
- 3 cups (710ml) chicken broth
- 1 (7 ounce - 198g) can chopped green chiles
- 1 (8 ounce - 225g) can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ear of corn, shucked (or 1 cup of frozen corn)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste after)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For Serving and Topping:
- crushed tortilla chips or gluten free tortilla chips
- fresh minced cilantro
- fresh lime juice
- cheese (optional)
- hot sauce or fresh chopped jalapeno (optional)
- In slow cooker (recipe was tested in 4 qt size) add all the soup ingredients. Gently mix together all the ingredients to make everything combine well.
- Cover and cook the soup on low for 7 hours or about 4 hours on high.
- Gently shred the chicken with two forks and stir the soup to mix the chicken in evenly.
- Top the soup with crushed tortilla chips, cilantro or other optional toppings. Squeeze some fresh lime juice on top and enjoy!