Slow Cooker /Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Do you usually order chicken tortilla soup during your visit to your favorite Mexican restaurant? Then you might want to make your own version of homemade chicken tortilla soup in the slow cooker or Instant Pot pressure cooker.
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup or Instant Pot
Best of all, you’ll have some leftovers to be able to enjoy for the next day, or two. It doesn’t get any easier and more delicious than this Instant Pot or slow cooker chicken tortilla soup. All you have to do is add everything to your slow cooker and walk away. If you’re cooking this recipe for chicken tortilla soup in the Instant Pot, you just have to sear the chicken, onions and garlic, then set the pressure on the cooker and then you can walk away. The advantage to the Instant Pot is that it has a saute function that will add more flavor to the soup when you sear the chicken.
Video: Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
After this is finished, the wonderful aroma of this easy chicken tortilla soup will fill your house and you might not want to order it in a restaurant again. In fact, you can customize the spices in this Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup recipe to your own liking. Whether you like it extra spicy or not, you can make it all your own. The wonderful part about this recipe is that the slow cooker and instant pot makes the chicken very tender. You can use either chicken breast or dark meat chicken like chicken thighs. The flavor is just wonderful and it’s easy to make this chicken soup recipe a full dinner. Just add a dinner salad and you’re ready to feast! The difference though is in the cooking times. The Instant Pot is WAY quicker to cook this soup and the flavors are just as delicious as if you were to make it in the slow cooker. Enjoy! Click Here for our –> Slow Cooker and Instant Pot Recipes .
Video: Chicken Tortilla Soup in a Slow Cooker
Slow Cooker Version:
Favorite Slow Cookers and Instant Pots for Chicken Soup:
Whether you prefer a slow cooker, pressure cooker, or a multi-cooker, these kitchen counter appliances help make dinner a little easier for the busy household, plus with an added bonus of some of our favorite finds for entertaining:
This recipe was originally published in 2016 and re-published in 2019 with an updated video.
Chicken Tortilla Soup in a Slow Cooker or Instant Pot
FOR THE SOUP:
- 1 pound (454 g) boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs
- 3 cups (705 ml) chicken broth
- 7 ounces (198 g) chopped green chiles (one small can)
- 14.5 ounces (411 g) diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 ear corn , shucked (or 1 cup of frozen corn)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt (or more to taste after)
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) black pepper
FOR SERVING AND TOPPING:
- crushed tortilla chips or gluten free tortilla chips
- fresh minced cilantro
- fresh lime juice
- cheese (optional)
- hot sauce or fresh chopped jalapeno (optional)
For Slow Cooker
- In slow cooker add all the soup ingredients (chicken, broth, green chiles, tomato, onion, garlic, corn, salt, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and black pepper). Gently mix together all the ingredients to make everything combine well.
- Cover and cook the soup on low for 7 hours or about 4 hours on high.
- Gently shred the chicken with two forks and stir the soup to mix the chicken in evenly. If you like cubed chicken in your soup, you can remove the chicken then cut it into small bite sized pieces and then return to the broth.
- Top the soup with your favorite toppings. Squeeze some fresh lime juice on top and enjoy!
For Instant Pot
- Turn Instant Pot on "Saute”, and add oil. Saute chicken, onions and garlic until soft
- Add broth, tomatoes, green chiles, corn, Worcestershire sauce, ground cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Quick or Natural release. (These are the steps we did for our Instant Pot- Press "Cancel" to stop the "Saute" setting. Press the "Manual" button. Set the time to 15 minutes.)
- After the cooking time is complete, press "Cancel" and carefully release the pressure.
- Once pressure completely releases, open lid and gently shred the chicken. If you like cubed chicken in your soup, you can remove the chicken then cut it into small bite sized pieces and then return to the broth.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Garnish soup your favorite toppings.