Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Do you usually order chicken tortilla soup during your visit to your favorite Mexican restaurant? Then you might want to make your own version of homemade chicken tortilla soup in the slow cooker. The flavors are amazing in this slow cooker chicken tortilla soup. Add some crushed tortilla chips and some hot sauce and after a nice slow cook with time for the flavors to fully develop and the chicken cook nice and tender, you have crock pot chicken tortilla soup that’s restaurant quality!
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Best of all, you’ll have some leftovers to be able to enjoy for the next day, or two. It doesn’t get any easier and more delicious than this slow cooker chicken tortilla soup. All you have to do is add everything to your slow cooker and walk away.
After this is finished, the wonderful aroma of this easy chicken tortilla soup will fill your house and you might not want to order it in a restaurant again. In fact, you can customize the spices in this slow cooker chicken tortilla soup to your own liking. Whether you like it extra spicy or not, you can make it all your own. The wonderful part about this recipe is that the slow cooker makes the chicken very tender.
Video: Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Chicken Breast or Chicken Thighs?
You can use either chicken breast or dark meat chicken like chicken thighs for this crock pot chicken tortilla soup recipe. The flavor is just wonderful and it’s easy to make this chicken soup recipe a full dinner. Just add a dinner salad and you’re ready to feast! The difference though is in the cooking times. Chicken thighs will usually become more tender quicker than breast meat, especially if the chicken breast still has the rib meat attached. We’ll usually cook the thigh meat for less time than the breast meat, but you do you. Check the soup occasionally during cooking to see how tender the chicken is. Enjoy! Click Here for our –> Slow Cooker and Instant Pot Recipes.
Chicken Tortilla Soup in a Slow Cooker
FOR THE SOUP:
- 1 pound (454 g) boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs
- 3 cups (705 ml) chicken broth
- 7 ounces (198 g) chopped green chiles (one small can)
- 14.5 ounces (411 g) diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 14 oz. canned whole kernel corn , or 1 large ear of corn shucked (or 1 cup of frozen corn)
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) salt (or more to taste after)
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 ml) ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) black pepper
FOR SERVING AND TOPPING:
- crushed tortilla chips or gluten free tortilla chips
- fresh minced cilantro (optional)
- cheese (optional)
- hot sauce or fresh chopped jalapeno (optional)
- finely sliced cabbage (optional)
- fresh lime juice (optional)
- In slow cooker add all the soup ingredients (chicken, broth, green chiles, tomato, onion, garlic, corn, salt, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and black pepper). Gently mix together all the ingredients to make everything combine well.
- Cover and cook the soup on Low for 6-7 or about 4-5 hours on High.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred or cut chicken into cubes. If you're able to shred the chicken with forks inside the slow cooker, then go for it!
- Return the chicken back into the slow cooker to incorporate into the broth. Give it a stir and ladle into soup bowls.
- Top the soup with the crushed tortillas and your favorite toppings. Squeeze some fresh lime juice on top and enjoy!
Nutrition Information per Serving
Favorite Slow Cookers and Instant Pots for Chicken Soup:
Whether you prefer a slow cooker, pressure cooker, or a multi-cooker, these kitchen counter appliances help make dinner a little easier for the busy household, plus with an added bonus of some of our favorite finds for entertaining:
The original slow cooker. On this on the lid locks down which is great for transporting to potlucks and such. Simple, inexpensive and reliable.
It has cult-like following for a reason. It’s a pressure cooker and so much more. Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, & Yogurt Maker. It’s awesome! If you want a pressure cooker that has a few more bells and whistles (like hands free steam release), this Breville Pressure Cooker is also great.
If pressure cooking is a not your thing but want a bit more than just a slow cooker, this multi-cooker is perfect for you. It can Sauté, Steam, and Slow Cook. Perfect to create those one pot meals.
Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
If you want to cook this in a pressure cooker we have the Instant pot or pressure cooker version here. It’s alot quicker to cook the chicken tortilla soup in the pressure cooker. This can come in handy if you’re needing a quicker soup and all finished within about 45 minutes. Enjoy!