Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki
Our crock pot teriyaki chicken recipe is wonderfully tender because it’s cooked in the slow cooker using boneless skinless chicken thighs. But you can use chicken breast if you like. The flavor comes fresh ginger and simple pantry ingredients. This slow cooker chicken teriyaki is great for the whole family.
Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki Recipe
There’s nothing better than a hearty chicken teriyaki bowl for dinner or lunch. In fact, it’s a meal that the whole family will love and the slow cooker does all the work. The tender and saucy chicken goes so well over white rice, brown rice or egg noodles. Add some steamed veggies like broccoli or stir fried veggies and it’s a complete meal that is budget friendly.
What does the teriyaki sauce taste like?
Our teriyaki chicken recipe has a sauce that is well balanced, not too sweet and savory as the same time. We’re not big fans of overly sweet teriyaki sauce, so we minimize the sugars to bring out just enough of the sweetness without overwhelming the whole meal with sugar. The flavors for this teriyaki sauce recipe is rich, savory and satisfying. You can adjust the taste by adding additional tablespoons of the soy sauce, brown sugar, or rice vinegar for more depth of your favorite flavors.
Timing for the teriyaki chicken
The meat is tender and always perfect, as long as you monitor it. Some slow cookers and crock pots cook a little hotter than others, so it’s good to check it about one hour before our suggested times. Pierce the meat with a fork and if it’s too firm for you, cook it a bit longer. If you don’t want your chicken too soft or mushy, it’s good to monitor it sooner than later.
Recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki Video:
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- 2 pounds (910 g) boneless Chicken (chicken breast or chicken thighs)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) Soy Sauce
- 1/3 cup (75 g) Brown Sugar , packed
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) Rice Vinegar , or distilled white vinegar
- 3 cloves Garlic , minced (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 inch (2.5 cm) knob of fresh Ginger , peeled and fine minced (about 1 heaping Tablespoon)
To thicken sauce (optional):
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) cold Water
- In 4 qt. slow cooker bowl combine chicken, soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, garlic, and ginger.
- Stir well to make sure all ingredients are mixed together. Once mixed, push the chicken to it's immersed in the sauce as much as possible.
- Place lid on. Cook until chicken is tender (High – about 4 hours : Low – 5-6 hours). If possible, stir at least once during cooking and push chicken down so it's immersed in the sauce again.
- Optional: to thicken the sauce Once chicken is cooked: Make the corn starch slurry: mix cornstarch and cold water in small bowl. Stir the mixture so that all the cornstarch is completely dissolved, leaving no lumps. Quickly stir in the cornstarch slurry into the chicken mixture and combine well so that the cornstarch doesn't thicken and become lumpy. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Cut or shred the chicken to your preferred size.
- Put the chicken back into the slow cooker with all the sauce.
- Spoon the teriyaki chicken and sauce on rice, noodles or in a sandwich.
Nutrition Information per Serving
Homemade Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki Dinner
Make a meal out of the chicken by adding it to rice, pasta or by shredding the chicken into sliders! It’s a super easy Asian recipe and the slow cooker does all work in this fantastic chicken teriyaki recipe. This teriyaki chicken is so good, you’ll always want to make it homemade! Your can customize all your individual flavors and spices. No more need to order takeout because it can be made all in your own kitchen for an awesome and easy weeknight meal. And oh! Parties too! Don’t forget potlucks and parties because this is a fabulous recipe to bring to your next gathering. Enjoy!
Our Favorite Slow Cookers
The original slow cooker. On this on the lid locks down which is great for transporting to potlucks and such. Simple, inexpensive and reliable.
It has cult-like following for a reason. It’s a pressure cooker and so much more. Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, & Yogurt Maker. It’s awesome! If you want a pressure cooker that has a few more bells and whistles (like hands free steam release), this Breville Pressure Cooker is also great.
If pressure cooking is a not your thing but want a bit more than just a slow cooker, this multi-cooker is perfect for you. It can Sauté, Steam, and Slow Cook. Perfect to create those one pot meals.
We have so many more easy recipe for you:
- Grilled chicken teriyaki skewers with pineapple
- Coconut shrimp recipe with orange soy dip
- Shrimp teriyaki skewers
- Japanese teriyaki glazed chicken
- Flavorful slow cooker mexican chicken
- All our Asian Recipes and Slow Cooker Recipes.
- This air fryer chicken and broccoli recipe is healthy and delicious!
Originally published in 2013. Re-published with updated recipe, photos & video.