Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
Our teriyaki chicken recipe is wonderfully tender because it’s cooked in the slow cooker or crock pot for about four hours on high heat. The flavor comes from a homemade teriyaki sauce recipe that’s made directly in the slow cooker and simmered with the chicken until all the flavors are well combined. There’s nothing better than a hearty chicken teriyaki bowl for dinner or lunch. Made with soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, garlic, fresh ginger and crushed pineapple, the flavor for this teriyaki sauce recipe is bright, savory and satisfying. You can adjust the taste by adding additional tablespoons of the soy sauce, brown sugar, or rice vinegar for more depth of your favorite flavors.
Watch our delicious Chicken Teriyaki Video:
Homemade Chicken Teriyaki Dinner
Make a meal out of the chicken by adding it to rice, pasta or by shredding the chicken into sliders! It’s a super easy Asian recipe and the slow cooker does all work in this fantastic chicken teriyaki recipe.This teriyaki chicken is so good, you’ll always want to make it homemade! Your can customize all your individual flavors and spices. No more need to order takeout because it can be made all in your own kitchen for an awesome and easy weeknight meal. And oh! Parties too! Don’t forget potlucks and parties because this is a fabulous recipe to bring to your next gathering. Enjoy!
Our Favorite Cookers & Goodies for Entertaining:
Whether you prefer a slow cooker, pressure cooker, or a multi-cooker, these kitchen counter appliances help make dinner a little easier for the busy household, plus with an added bonus of some of our favorite finds for entertaining:
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- 2 pounds (910 g) boneless Chicken (chicken breast or chicken thighs)
- 8 ounces (227 g) crushed Pineapple in natural juice (if using heavy syrup pineapple will make sauce thicker, sweeter)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) Soy Sauce
- 1/3 cup (75 g) Brown Sugar , packed
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) Rice Vinegar
- 3 cloves (3 cloves) Garlic , minced
- 1 inch (1 inch) knob of fresh Ginger , peeled and fine minced (about 1 heaping Tablespoon)
To thicken sauce (optional):
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) cold Water
- In 4 qt. slow cooker bowl, combine crushed pineapple, soy sauce, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, garlic, and ginger. Stir well to make sure all ingredients are mixed.
- Add chicken. Cook until chicken is tender (High - 4-5 hours : Low - 6-8 hours).Stir about 2-3 times during cooking and push chicken down so it's immersed in the sauce.
- Optional: to thicken the sauce (do this about 30 minutes on low, or 5 minutes on high before chicken is finished cooking). Make the corn starch slurry: mix cornstarch and cold water in small bowl. Stir the mixture so that all the cornstarch is completely dissolved, leaving no lumps.
- Quickly stir in the cornstarch slurry into the crock pot teriyaki mixture and combine well so that the cornstarch doesn't thicken and become lumpy.Serve over rice or pasta.
Originally published in 2013. Re-published with updated recipe, photos & video in 2017.