Easy Slow cooker Mexican chicken
Beware, this recipe for slow cooker Mexican chicken can easily become a dinner staple. You can also make this chicken recipe in the crock pot. It’s so delicious because we made sure to have some extra spices to liven up the flavor. And best of all, it’s so easy to make for a family meal. When you’re craving tacos, salads, tostadas or quesadillas, our chicken in the slow cooker is an obvious choice! Just add all the crock pot or slow cooker and walk away for a few hours. You’ll return to a fantastic meal!
Video: Slow Cooker Recipe for Mexican chicken
Chicken tacos, salads and more!
The possibles seems endless with cooking this chicks in the slow cooker or crock pot. We absolutely love making shredded chicken tacos with them or on tostadas. Kids love them as chicken quesadillas. And if you want to eat healthier, low carb chicken taco salad is the way to go! Another fantastic idea is to use this as a filling and make chicken enchiladas.
Feel free to adjust the spices as you prefer. Make it more or less spicy. Add oregano or change the cumin amount, etc.. You can also just replace the spices for 1 bag of taco seasoning if you prefer.
Chicken thigh or leg meat will be juicer than breast meat, but if you prefer, the breast meat still comes out quite nice. We'll usually prefer boneless, skinless chicken, but feel free to use whatever is available to you.
- 2 pounds chicken , preferrably boneless, skinless (*see head note)
- 1 cup tomato sauce or salsa
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , or more to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper , to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder , or to taste (optional, for spicy flavor)
Add all the ingredients into the slow cooker (chicken, tomato sauce or salsa, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper, and optional chipotle powder). Stir everything well to completely coat the chicken with the spices & sauce.
- Slow cook 6-8 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.
- Take the chicken pieces out of the slow cooker, cut into 1-2 inch pieces, then place back in the slow cooker. Shed with a couple forks to break up the chicken.
- Taste the chicken and add more salt if needed.
- Serve in tacos, on salads, in quesadillas, etc.
More Great–> Slow Cooker and Instant Pot Recipes
Check out our –> Easy Mexican Recipes
This Crock pot chicken taco soup looks great too.