Easy Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe in Crock Pot
We’re huge fans of this slow cooker beef stew! It’s the perfect comfort food and we’ve loaded it with flavor. The beef is super juicy and tender and the veggies melt in your mouth. Why we love this crock pot beef stew so much is that it’s so easy to feed our family a home cooked meal. Just add all the ingredients in the slow cooker and the you return, the delicious aroma fills the house. Dinner is served and everyone will devour the amazing stew in minutes. Best of all, there will be leftovers for lunch or make it into a pot pie!
Video: Best Beef Stew Recipe in Crock Pot
How to Make Beef Stew in Slow Cooker
- Add the beef, tomato sauce, beef stock and other spices into the slow cooker.
- Note: if you have a slow cooker or crock pot that sears or sautés, then even better.
- If you have the sauce function, try sautéing the onion, beef and garlic first before adding all the liquids in.
- Make sure to push all the ingredients under the sauce so it’s fully immersed before you start slow cooking.
- Read the full recipe in the recipe box below or print out the recipe.
This slow cooker split pea soup looks fantastic! This recipe was originally published in 2019 and re-published in 2020 with updated video.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- 2 pounds (907 g) Beef Stew meat , cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (1 medium) onion , chopped
- 4 cloves (4 cloves) garlic , minced
- 4 (4 ) carrots , cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 pound (454 g) potatoes , cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 stalks (2 stalks) celery , chopped
- 2 cups (480 ml) beef broth
- 14 ounces (397 g) tomato sauce (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dried herbs (thyme, oregano, basil)
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt , or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) corn starch
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) water
- Combine all ingredient except water & cornstarch in slow cooker (beef, onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes, broth, tomato sauce, soy/Worcestershire sauce, herbs, sugar, salt, and pepper). Stir all ingredients together.
- Push all ingredients down to immerse it under the juices. Cover and cook the stew on Low for 8 hours or about 5-6 hours on High.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into the beef stew, cover with the lid, and cook for about 5 minutes or until it slightly thickens the stew. Enjoy!