Super Easy Queso Dip in 15 minutes!
We’re obsessed with this easy queso dip recipe. It’s truly a no fail cheesy queso that will be the hit of any party. In fact, it’s the perfect party queso dip for game day and cinco de Mayo.
Easy Queso Dip Recipe
The best part about our queso is that you can customize your flavors to your preferred liking. Love spicy appetizers with a little kick of heat? It’s easy peasy by adding a little extra cayenne or chipotle powder. If you don’t like your queso spicy but still flavorful, just add less cayenne and more chili powder. Your next game day gathering, tailgating party or Cico de Mayo festivities will be more delicious wit this creamy cheesy dip.
Best cheese for queso? Grate it from a block of cheese
We’ve tested this queso with so many types of cheeses with different results. Your queso could be gummy if you use a pre-grated packaged cheese. These pre-grated cheeses are often coated with a flour or powder coating to keep the cheese from sticking together. But when it melts, it makes the queso gummy.
- To avoid gummy textured queso, grate cheese from a block. Freshly grated cheese from a block won’t have all the powder coating.
- If you grate the cheese from a block, your queso will be creamier without the sticky/gummy texture.
Video: Best Queso Dip Recipe
How to Make Queso from Hardening
Wonder how to keep queso dip from getting hard? The answer is simple: using a can of evaporated milk will keep the Queso creamy for a while.
- The dip will still be flavorful and delicious without turning to back into a brick of cheese too quick.
- If this Queso recipe sits out for too long it will start to thicken. But just melt it again in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes and it’ll be back to smooth and creamy. Make sure to add a great bag of crispy tortilla chips and you’re ready to party!
- More easy queso dip recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Homemade Queso Cheese Dip
- 8 oz. (227 g) cheddar cheese , grated from a block of cheese (about 2 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt , or more to taste (will vary depending on the saltiness of the cheese used)
- 12 oz (340 g) can of evaporated milk (NOT sweetened condensed milk)
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) whole milk , approximately if needed to thin the cheese sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) chipotle or cayenne powder (optional for spicy)
- sliced green onion for topping (optional)
- tortilla chips , for serving
- In a bowl, toss together the freshly grated cheese, corn starch, chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Make sure everything is combined well.
- In a saucepan, add the evaporated milk and cook over medium heat until it reaches a low simmer. Add cheese mixture and whisk until cheese sauce is melted and smooth.
- If sauce is too thick, whisk in the whole milk until the sauce reaches your desired consistency. Taste the sauce and add additional seasonings and/or optional chipotle or cayenne to your preferred taste. Top with the optional green onions.
- Serve with tortilla chips, on french fries, or with whatever you can imagine this delicous cheese going well with.
Nutrition Information per Serving
What to eat with easy queso dip besides chips?
The go-to way to eat queso is with tortilla chips. It’s a dip so of course chips are the first choice! But if you have extra queso, consider these different and delicious ways to serve with queso:
- Nachos! It’s our second go-to way to serve queso. Warm a tray of tortilla chips in the oven and add some oven pulled pork on top. Then drizzle this amazing queso on top.
- Drizzle this queso on top of pasta for a quick and easy cheesy mac and cheese.
- Add it to a sandwich or slider for a cheesy sandwich.
- Make it healthier and serve it with vegetables for dipping.
- Queso is a great dip for chicken wings!
Easy Dip Recipes and Appetizers
Check out more of our easy dip and appetizer recipes for anytime of the year. From parties, game day to Holiday appetizers, our dips are fantastic and super easy to assemble.
Other Great Game Day & Party Recipes
- Super Bowl Dip, Wings & Appetizer Recipes
- Jalapeño Bacon Cheese Ball
- Best Grilling Recipes That We Love
- Sun Dried Tomato Cheese Ball
- Chicken Chili Nachos
- Check Out all Our– Easy Dip Recipes
- You’ll love our Game Day & Tailgating Recipes!
- Here’s more great Game Day Dip Recipes to Explore!
- This recipe was originally published in 2020 and re-published in 2021.
We know you’ll love this recipe! If you make it, please share the photo with us on our Social Media Facebook and Instagram pages. We’d love to see your delicious creations and share it with our community. Thank you so much Friends and happy cooking to you and your family.