This oven roasted asian pulled pork is a tried and true recipe with high ratings from all our tasters! Loaded with flavor from our simple marinade, it’s amazing how truly simple this recipe is. Roasted for about 4 hours, our sauce cooks down into the pulled pork and what comes out of the oven is truly one of the best Asian pulled pork recipes ever. The sauce has freshly ginger, onions, garlic, crushed tomatoes, chili garlic sauce, brown sugar, mustard and the all important fish sauce! Yes, all these amazing ingredients cook down to a sauce that you won’t want to waste. That’s why everyone is crazy about this pulled pork recipe. The flavors are deep, full of umami and so rich, it’s hard too resist eating 2-3 portions. It’s a saucy pulled pork that’s perfect for tacos, sandwiches, sliders and so much more.
Video of our Awesome Asian Pulled Pork:
After about 4 hours, the oven roast pork butt (or pork shoulder) is super tender and shreds easily with just two forks. As we shred the pork, it literally just falls apart and we keep it in the sauce. The pork soaks up the sauce and that’s what gives the extra juicy-ness and flavor. Sometimes folks are scared to use the fish sauce but please don’t fear the fish sauce! Sure, it has a strong stench when you’re making the sauce. But when it cooks down into the pork, you don’t smell it any more and what it becomes is a delicious and flavorful combination of all the spices cooked together. If you’re still a little sketchy, then you can certainly use soy sauce and the results are still delicious. Hope you enjoy our oven roast Asian pulled pork recipe! Let us know what you think!
- 4 lb. pork butt or pork shoulder
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 5-6 medium cloves garlic minced
- 15 oz. can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons finely grated or minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup fish sauce or soy sauce (but fish sauce tastes better! try it) For Gluten Free use Tamari
- 2 Tablespoons chili garlic sauce or Gluten Free Hot Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 cup brown sugar , packed
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Add oil evenly to outside of pork shoulder and season all sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat large cast iron pan or deep oven proof skillet on medium-high heat. Sear each side of the pork shoulder on the hot pan until the pork is brown. About 3 minutes per side. Remove the pork from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same oven proof skillet, heat to medium heat. Add oil, onion and garlic. Cook onions and garlic until soft and fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, ginger, fish sauce, chili garlic sauce, mustard, brown sugar and black pepper. Stir together until well combined.
- Add the seared pork back into the skillet with the sauce and ladle the tomato sauce mixture over the pork. Cover the pork with aluminum foil.
- Bake the pork for about 4 hours, or until the pork is tender and easily shreds with a fork. Skim off any excess fat, then shred the pork in the sauce.
- Keep foil over the shredded pork to keep it warm before serving. It tastes even better the next day!
- Serve on tacos, sliders, sandwiches, pasta or on rice. Don't waste the yummy sauce!