Air Fried Stuffed Mushrooms
Here’s another fantastic appetizer recipe for your air fryer! These air fried stuffed mushrooms are super delicious and crazy easy to make. After making your first batch, you’ll always want to make air fryer stuffed mushrooms because it’s quick and simple.
Easy Air Fried Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
You literally can whip this up so fast that it’ll be one of the easiest appetizers you’ll ever make. Cooking stuffed mushrooms in the air fryer creates such a crispy cheese top and juicy mushroom. If your guess love stuffed mushrooms then we suggest making at least a double batch because they’ll inhale these! Best part about this recipe is that they’re so easy to devour and make.
Video: How to Air Fry Stuffed Mushrooms
Can You Make Ahead Stuffed Mushrooms?
Yes! Just prep the filling and stuff the mushrooms ahead of time. You can do this up to one day ahead. When you’re ready to air fry them, take them out about 1 hour before cooking so that the filling can come to room temperature. Then spray the sides of the mushrooms again before air frying. The hot air fryer circulating air cooks these stuffed mushrooms really quick. So you want to make sure the filling itsn’t too cold and make sure it cooked all the way through.
Tips on How to Cook Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms
- Sizes of mushrooms vary so much so you’ll have to adjust cooking times slightly. Read what we wrote below in this articleregarding the different varieties of mushrooms.
- Use different types of cheese if you want. Sharp cheddar and smoked gouda has great flavor.
- Air fry at the minimum time that we suggest then keep checking to see if they’re cooked through. Add more time if needed for the air fried mushrooms. Timing can vary so much between the different sized mushrooms and different air fryer models.
- After making your first batch, you’ll know more of what the best timing is for your style of air fryer and size of mushrooms.
What Variety of Mushrooms to Stuff?
With so many different types of mushrooms, you have alot of options. Any type of mushroom with a “cap” works great for stuffing. Other specialty mushrooms like chanterelles and morels don’t work. These premium mushrooms are also too pricy for a simple dish like this. So save those fancy mushrooms for sauteeing.
- White button mushrooms or small brown bella : Our favorite mushrooms to stuff are bite sized white buttons mushrooms or small brown bella mushrooms. They’re the perfect bite sized portion of mushroom and can cook quickly based on our time below.
- Small or mini portabella mushrooms: If you want to stuff a small portabella mushrooms that’s great too. Just add more cooking time. We suggest an additional minute or two. Or you could even air fry the caps first for about 3 minutes with a light oil spray on top, then stuff and continue air frying.
- Regular or large portabella mushrooms: If you’re stuffing large or regular sized portabella mushrooms they are big. Remember, this cooking time will vary depending on how powerful your air fryer is and how big your mushrooms are. It will definitely help to air fry the portabella mushroom first before stuffing. Give it a light spray and air fry it cap faced-up for about 3-5 minutes. Then stuff the big portabella mushroom and air fry for about another 2-3 minutes or until filling is melted and cooked through.
Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms
All air fryers are different and some cook much hotter than others. Once you cook your first batch, you’ll know more of what works for your model of air fryer and size of food. These recipes were tested on basket style air fryers.
- 8 oz. (226 g) button mushrooms , stems removed
- 4 oz. (113 g) cream cheese , softened
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) salt , or more to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup (56 g) grated cheese , for topping
- minced parsley (optional)
- Oil spray
- Chop mushrooms stems and set aside. Spray tops of mushrooms liberally with olive oil spray. If you don't spray the tops of mushrooms enough, they might dry out during air frying.
- In bowl, combine cream cheese, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper. Mix cheese until all spices are combined. Fold in the chopped mushroom stems.
- Stuff the cavity of mushroom tops with the cheese mixture. Place the mushrooms in the air fryer basket (only place the mushroom a single layer – if needed cook in multiple batches).
- Air Fry at 360°F/182°C for 6-8 minutes, depending on the size of the mushrooms.
- Top the stuffed mushrooms with grated cheese and Air Fry for another 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Let the mushrooms cool for a couple minutes before serving. Top with minced parsley and serve.
- Make ahead: Prep the filling and stuff the mushrooms ahead of time. You can do this up to one day ahead. When you’re ready to air fry them, take them out about 1 hour before cooking so that the filling can come to room temperature. Then spray the sides of the mushrooms again before air frying. The hot air fryer circulating air cooks these stuffed mushrooms really quick. So you want to make sure the filling isn’t too cold and make sure it cooked all the way through.
- If cooking in multiple batches, the first batch will take longer to cook if Air Fryer is not already pre-heated. Recipe timing is based on a non-preheated air fryer.
- Recipes were tested in 3.4 to 6 qt air fryers. If using a larger air fryer, the recipe might cook quicker so adjust cooking time.
Nutrition Information per Serving
Can you freeze leftover stuffed mushrooms?
You should have leftovers because they’re so good and easy to eat. But if you do, it’s best to store them in the fridge for up to 3 days. Try eating them right away. Freezing air fried stuffed mushrooms isn’t a good idea. They are mushy and soft when thawed. Sure, you can air fry them again to heat them up but the texture isn’t the same. So try to just eat them or share them with friends instead of freezing leftovers.
Check out more of our–> Air Fryer Appetizer Recipes Here
- Air Fryer stuffed turkey breast
- Easy mushrooms recipe in air fryer
- vegetarian mushroom gravy
- Here’s a great homemade sriracha hot sauce recipe.
- Baked stuffed turkey breast with bacon and veggies
- Best breakfast bakes
- stuffed turkey breast with sausage stuffing
- This recipe was originally published in 2019 and updated in 2023