Sesame Chicken Stir Fry with Zucchini or Summer Squash
This chicken stir fry recipe is flavorful and fresh with slices of zucchini. With flavors of sesame oil and other spices to make it a simple sesame Asian chicken recipe that’s perfect for weeknights or when you have chicken and zucchini left in the fridge.
Zucchini Chicken Stir Fry Recipe
What makes this sesame chicken a healthy chicken recipe is using boneless skinless chicken breast. But for those of you who prefer brown meat, you can use chicken thighs. It’s also the perfect ground chicken recipe if you’re a fan of cooking with healthy ground chicken. For more flavor, add additional soy sauce or oyster sauce.
Video: Sesame Chicken and Zucchini Stir Fry:
How to Make Chicken Zucchini Stir Fry
- The ingredients that are listed below can be flexible and changed to your liking. Use ground chicken if you like. We’ve made it with ground chicken and ground turkey. They’re both delicious.
- For a more sesame chicken flavor, you add more sesame seed oil, one teaspoon at a time. But just be careful to use too much sesame seed oil, it can pack a whole lot of flavor in a little amount.
- Another option we like to add is extra garlic and fresh minced ginger. It’s fun to experiment with sauces and spices when cooking with chicken stir fry recipes.
- Serve the stir fry with rice, quinoa, couscous or any healthy grain that you like.
- KETO: for a keto version of this chicken zucchini stir fry, just serve it on a bed of lettuce. It’s a healthy way to enjoy this stir fry without hardly any carbs.
- All recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Difference Between Zucchini and Summer Squash?
There are usually two types of squash: Winter squash and Summer squash. The term “Summer Squash” is the general term for squashes that are harvested in Summer and they usually have a tender, edible skin. Zucchini is the Italian term for small Summer squash. So all Zucchini are a type of Summer Squash. Color wise, zucchini are found in both green, yellow and striped colors. Shape is a good indicator where zucchini are normally straight. Summer squashes usually are bulbous at the bottom and taper at the top.
Sesame Chicken Zucchini Stir-Fry Recipe
- 1 pound (455g) boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs , cut into bite size pieces (or you can use ground chicken)
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) Sesame Seed Oil
- 3 teaspoons Soy Sauce , or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) Rice Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Oyster Sauce or Hoisin
- 2 zucchini or summer squash , sliced thin
- 1/2 Tablespoon (8ml) toasted sesame seeds (about)
- fresh ground black pepper , to taste
- 1/4 cup (60ml) chopped Cilantro
- Heat large skillet on medium heat. Add oil, then garlic. Cook garlic until translucent and fragrant, then add chicken.
- Cook chicken for about 2 minutes, then add sesame seed oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar and oyster sauce. Cook mixture for about another 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Add zucchini and cook until tender, about 1-2 minutes.
- Before serving, sprinkle with sesame seeds, ground black pepper and chopped cilantro.