Air Fryer Chicken Wings (No Oil or Extra Crispy Cornstarch Crust)
You guys, you are going to be blown away at how delicious these air fried chicken wings are! Wow, our air fryer chicken wings recipe does not use any oil at all. These appetizers are easier than ever to enjoy.
Crispy Air Fried Chicken Wings Recipe
The chicken wings have plenty of oil already and just enough to cook the crispy in the air fryer. It’s incredible how quick and easy air fried chicken wings are to make. The only real effort is seasoning the chicken wings with salt and pepper. Then press a few buttons on the air fryer and within minutes you have the best chicken wings ever.
Video: Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipe
If you’re looking for a delicious and quick recipe for Game Day or Super Bowl chicken wings, this is it! Once you have the chicken wings made in batches, you can add what ever sauce you like. In fact, you can totally be a chicken-wings-making-machine by having all your sauces ready. Before you know it, you’ll be cooking up batches and sauces them up. You might need two air fryers because you probably won’t be able to keep up at a Super bowl party. Everyone will be devouring these so fast, you can’t keep up.
How to Make Healthy Chicken Wings in Air Fryer:
- Season wings with salt and pepper. Add wings to air fryer basket. Then Air Fry the chicken wings.
- First Toss: Air Fry then toss and shake the chicken wings.
- Second Toss: Shake and toss the chicken wings a second time.
- Third Toss: Add chicken wings to a bowl, and coat with your favorite sauce. Then air fry one last time for a few minutes.
- Done! Finished and absolutely delicious! No oil and so much healthier.
Extra Crispy Chicken Wings with Corn Starch Crust
If you don’t mind a little more oil, the corn starch crust method result in even more crispy wings. You can do this by coating your wings with corn starch. It gives a nice crust that’s crispy outside coating that’s awesome. But it will require a little oil to coat the corn starch. You want to make sure to evenly coat the cornstarch with oil spray. Don’t leave any dry spots of cornstarch powder or else it will cook hard and dry. Technique is in the recipe box below.
Great Sauce Recipes:
Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- 2 pounds (907 g) chicken wings
- Kosher salt , or sea salt, to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- garlic salt , optional
Optional – For Extra Crispy Cornstarch Crust
- 1/4 cup (30 g) cornstarch
- oil spray , to coat wings
- Pat dry the chicken wings. Season with salt, pepper, and optional garlic salt (no oil spray necessary if not making the extra crispy cornstarch crust).
- If not making the cornstarch crust, lay the wings in an even layer in the air fryer basket/tray.
Optional for Extra Crispy Cornstarch Crust
- After seasoning wings, lay them in single layer on a plate or cutting board. Sprinkle cornstarch over the wings on both sides. Spray wings evenly with oil spray so that all the cornstarch is coated in oil. There should be no dry white clumps of cornstarch.
- Lay the wings in an even layer in the air fryer basket/tray.
- Air Fry at 400°F/205°C for 20 minutes. Flip the wings and Air Fry for another 10-15 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. If you're cooking a lot of wings at once, you might need a 3rd toss or flip.
- If using a Sauce: toss with a little sauce, then Air Fry at 400°F/205°C for another 2-4 minutes.
- Remove wings from air fryer basket/tray and toss with extra sauce after cooking or serve sauce on the side for dipping.
- Shake or turn the wings several times for even cooking.
- Don’t overcrowd fryer basket.
- If using a sauce, it is added in just at the end, otherwise it will usually burn before the chicken wings are cooked.
- Recipes were cooked in 3-4 qt air fryers. If using a larger air fryer, the recipe might cook quicker so adjust cooking time.
- If cooking in multiple batches, the first batch will take longer to cook if Air Fryer is not already pre-heated.
- Remember to set a timer to shake/flip/toss the food as directed in recipe.
More Air Fryer Wing Recipes:
What are the Best Air Fryers?
Here’s our extensive write up on Air Fryer World’s Best Air Fryer Guide. There’s so many on the market now. You just need to research and find the ones that fits your needs, capacity and style. We group the basket style air fryers into 2 main size groups: 3-4 qt. range & the 5-6 qt. range. There’s oven style and basket style. With so many to choose from, we highlight the ones that are most popular for small to medium sized families. Here’s our favorites:
Good Mid-Sized Air Fryers
“That’s a stylish Air Fryer” was said as we unboxed the Cosori. Beyond being stylish, it has cooked great. The basket is not as tall and wider than most in its size group, which is perfect. You’ll have a lot better results in an air fryer with single layered, spread out foods, then with ones piled high and thick.
The non-stick basket style (non-wire base) & smoothness of the basket tray is also great for clean up.
Has a great ceramic coated basket, one of the longest lasting we’ve used. Super powerful fan that will often cook recipes even faster than other air fryers. We initially returned our first one because we thought we wouldn’t like the basket style. After reconsidering, we bought another and are super glad we did. We love it’s basket and just a platform insert. One less bulky thing to wash. This is a great air fryer.
Good Larger Air Fryers
This is quickly becoming one of our favorite larger basket style air fryers. Great basket size, good controls, cooks nice. Clean up is great. It has become one of our kitchen favorites.
Most of us are familiar with the Instant Pot Brand of pressure cookers. They now make air fryers and it has become a regular in our kitchen. The Vortex plus 9-in-1 is beyond the conventional air fryer. The “plus” boasts features beyond the hot circulating air: Broil, Bake, Dehydrate, Rotisserie, Roast and Re-heat.
This recipe was originally published in 2019 and re-published in 2020.