Healthy Chicken Wings Recipe
Is it even possible to have healthy chicken “buffalo” wings? Well, with a few compromises and an open mind, this recipe can certainly satisfy chicken wing cravings without all the fat. Our previous write up on frying vs. baking vs. pre-poaching shows the differences on how each technique can affect the calorie content.
This chicken wing recipe is healthier because the wings are slightly poached or steamed to render off excess fat. Unlike traditional buffalo wing recipes where butter is a main ingredient, this sauce has no butter in it and the flavor of the sriracha still comes through. With a tomato based sauce, combined with fragrant onions and garlic and spicy sriracha hot sauce, you won’t miss the butter.
Once the chicken wings are rendered of excess fat, they’re baked in the oven to crisp up the skin and during this process, more fat is released from the wings. If you really want to get serious about reducing the fat, put the wings on a wire rack while you bake them, but for us that is a little too hard core. We want a little fat still in there for juiciness. The end results are chicken wings with a crisp texture, tossed in a clingy, flavorful sauce without all the butter. So yes, these might not be a classic butter laden buffalo wing recipe, but they sure are delicious and simple to make. Best of all, you won’t feel so guilty when eating a big plate all to yourself on Superbowl or game day. Enjoy!
The wings can either be pre-poached or steamed to release excess fat. After baked in the oven, more fat will be released.
Healthy Sriracha Chicken Wings Recipe
- 2-3 pounds (907-1360 g) chicken wings
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) Cooking Oil , we prefer Grape Seed Oil
- 1-2 clove garlic , minced
- 8 oz. (227 g) tomato sauce
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) Sriracha hot sauce , or to taste
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) brown sugar , packed
- 1 Tablespoons (15 ml) distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) soy sauce
- kosher salt , to taste
- serve with celery or carrot sticks (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C.
- Separate drumette from wings. Trim excess skin off chicken wings.
- Blanch: Place cut chicken wings in large sauce pan, fill with water to cover wings.Bring water to boil and poach (boil) wings for about 3 minutes or until you see fat floating to top of water.Once wings are poached (or steamed) allow them to drain of excess water.
- Bake: Place wings on baking sheet and bake in oven for about 40 minutes, flipping over half way through, allowing wings to cook about 20 minutes on each side or until skin crisps up.
- Make Sauce while Wings Bake: Heat oil in a sauce pan. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds or until garlic becomes translucent, but not burnt. Then add tomato sauce, Sriracha hot sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce and salt. Cook sauce on low heat for about 5 minutes to allow flavors to combine. Set aside
- When chicken wings are fully cooked and crisp on both sides, remove from oven and blot excess oil with paper towels.
- In large bowl, toss together sriracha wing sauce with cooked chicken wings. Serve warm alongside a tray of fresh celery sticks or carrot sticks.