Craving spaghetti squash but want to know how to cook spaghetti squash? Here’s how to cook spaghetti squash in the microwave that is easy and will get dinner ready on the table in less than 15 minutes!
All you need is a spaghetti squash and a microwave and 10 minutes of your time. You can certainly roast or bake your spaghetti squash. If you prefer that method, we have the technique here for you. But if you’re short on time, cooking the spaghetti squash in the microwave results in great tasting spaghetti squash without the hassle.
Here’s a video showing how easy it is to cook the Spaghetti Squash in the Microwave:
You must cut the spaghetti squash in half. Folks, don’t microwave the whole squash or it might explode! Yes, people have exploded their squash when cooking the whole dang thing in the microwave. No joke, just google it.
So not only should you cut it in half, you can take further precautions and help it cook more evenly by poking holes through the middle of the squash with a fork before you microwave it. What you get are delicious strands of spaghetti squash that can be topped with tomato sauce, cheese, herbs, meatballs or what ever you like. Seriously, if you plan ahead and have your sauce all ready to go, a spaghetti squash dinner can be finished in a matter of minutes.
Cooking times will vary depending on the size of the squash, so if it’s not cooked yet, cook it for about 3-4 minutes more until you reach the texture that you like.
here’s an easy spaghetti squash recipe with tomatoes and parmesan cheese!
And more great spaghetti squash recipes here.
If you love Spaghetti Squash, you’ll probably love Spiralizing. Check out some Favorites for Spiralizing:
Nothing beats tried and true kitchen tools and products, plus a little bonus of some of our favorite spiralizing cookbooks. Here’s some of the favorites:
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash in the Microwave
- 1 medium spaghetti squash , about 3 pounds
- kosher salt , to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper , to taste
- Carefully cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and connecting strands, then place cut side down on 8"x9" glass baking dish. Add enough water to fill the baking dish with about 1 inch of water.
- Microwave on High or until the squash flesh becomes tender and separates easily into strands with a fork, about 10 minutes. Depending on the power of your microwave and size of the spaghetti squash, cooking times will vary. Keep checking the squash to see if it's ready.
- Finish by gently loosening and removing the "spaghetti strands" from the shells. Serve spaghetti squash warm or with cheese and your favorite pasta sauce.