Classic Fettuccine Alfredo in 30 minutes (Vegetarian)
Easy Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe
Our homemade creamy garlic Alfredo sauce recipe is always a hit with readers. Now here’s our easy fettuccine Alfredo recipe that the whole family will love. Classic fettuccine Alfredo is creamy, cheesy and an easy comfort food that kids absolutely love. It’s made from our easy sauce recipe made with milk, parmesan cheese, butter and lots of garlic. Our creamy garlic Alfredo sauce is so good, you’ll never want to buy bottled sauce again! Making it from scratch is restaurant quality and made in less than 30 minutes. This classic pasta dish will have your family satisfied, budget friendly and super quick to make. There’s no reason to eat out when you can have a classic Italian fettuccine dinner at home!
Video: Recipe for Easy Fettuccini Alfredo
How to Make Classic Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe
The classic pasta to cook with our creamy garlic Alfredo sauce is of course, fettuccini. But this sauce is great with so many types of pasta! From macaroni, penne, spaghetti to angel hair pasta, this sauce is awesome! To make your fettuccine pasta more healthy, feel free to add extra veggies like spinach, broccoli, kale, green beans or cabbage. It’s a great way to layer in any veggies you want and to make it a complete vegetarian meal! This vegetarian pasta dish is a hearty comfort food and perfect for meatless Monday. Check out the step-by-step photos below and the recipe details in the recipe box.
Creamy Garlic Fettuccine Alfredo
- 1 pound (454 g) fettuccine or pasta of choice, cooked to package instructions.
- 1/4 cup (57 g) butter (1/2 stick)
- 4 cloves (4 cloves) garlic , minced (or 2 teaspoons garlic powder)
- 1/4 cup (30 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (480 ml) milk
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) dried herbs (basil, oregano, thyme, etc.)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried mustard powder
- 1 cup (100 g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt , or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) fresh cracked black pepper
- (optional) extra grated cheese to serve on top
- Cook pasta to al dente according to package instructions. Reserving some pasta water for thinning out the alfredo sauce if needed later, drain & set aside pasta & reserved water.
- Heat a sauce pan on medium-high heat. Melt butter, then add garlic and cook translucent and fragrant (about 1 minute). Whisk in flour and continue whisking to remove large clumps.
- Slowly whisk in the milk. Whisking often to make sure flour lumps are smooth, bring sauce to a low boil. Then reduce heat to low.
- Add dried herbs, mustard powder, parmesan, salt and pepper. Continue whisking until sauce is smooth and begins to thicken.
- Add the pasta to the alfredo sauce. Stir to coat the pasta. Add a little pasta water to thin out the sauce if needed.
- Add additional salt, pepper or cheese on top if needed.
Here’s more of our Easy Pasta Recipes for the Family! Check out all of our kid-friendly dinners that use up easy pantry ingredients. Perfect for quick and easy dinners.
Here’s more great pasta recipes for the family! If you made any of these recipes, please share the photo on social media and tag us! Also, leave your delicious 5-star comments and ratings below in the comment box. Thank you so much friends! This recipe was originally published in 2020 and re-published in 2021 with updated photos.