Microwave Eggs “Fried Egg”
Our Microwave Eggs Recipe for breakfast will change your life. It’s quick, easy and delicious like a healthy “fried egg”.
Eggs in Microwave Recipe
It’s hard to believe it. Can you microwave eggs? Yes you can! It’s a game changer to cook one or two eggs in the microwave for a quick and easy breakfast. It literally takes about 2 minutes for a single egg, depending on your preferred texture. And just another minute or so for a two egg breakfast. It tastes like a nice “fried egg” without the fat. It’s definitely a healthy way to have an keto or low carb breakfast, fast!
Video Cooking “Fried Eggs” in the Microwave
How to Microwave Eggs Recipe (Tips)
- Decide if you’re going to start with 1 egg or 2 eggs. Start with the base timing we recommended then add increments of about 15 seconds to reach your preferred texture. They cook so quick in the microwave, every 5 or so seconds makes a difference. After a couple times you’ll quickly be able to find the timing that works great for your microwave and liking.
- Cooking 2 eggs: both eggs might not cook at the same texture, but they will be very close. We found that there’s always one egg that cooked a little less. It might be because both eggs have a different exposure of heat in the bowl and one will usually cook a little firmer than the other. But if you’re wanting 2 eggs to be the exact same texture, we recommend cooking the 2 eggs separately. Here’s some more interesting info about eggs.
- All recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Microwave “Fried Eggs” Breakfast
- 1-2 egg(s)
- Salt , to taste
- Pepper , to taste
- Oil spray
- Lightly oil the inside of a medium microwave safe bowl. Crack the egg(s) into the bowl and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Pierce the egg yolks(s) with the tip of a pointy knife to prevent the them from potentially popping when microwaving. Cover with a microwave safe lid or plate.
- For 1 Egg in a Bowl: Microwave on High for 30 seconds. Let stand for 1 minute covered before removing plate to check doneness. If needed, cover again and continue microwaving in 15-20 second intervals until cooked to your preference.
- For 2 Eggs in a Bowl: Microwave on High for 1 minute. Let stand for 1 minute covered before removing plate to check doneness. If needed, cover again and continue microwaving in 15-20 second intervals until cooked to your preference. Serve with toast if desired.
- 600-800w – Lower Wattage Microwaves: More time often needed
- 900-1100w – Average Wattage Microwaves
- 1200-1300w – High Wattage Microwaves: Less time often needed
- Microwave safe glass (particularly borosilicate glass) & ceramic containers are the recommended choice. *Do not use cracked or otherwise damaged containers.
- Microwave safe plastic containers are considered safe by the FDA but many health organizations caution against using them.
- Never use plastics (containers, bags, wrap, etc.) that are not labeled microwave safe. Never use styrofoam, metal, or aluminum foil.
- Lids – microwave safe glass, ceramic or silicone is best. A microwave safe plate works great as a lid. Parchment paper, wax paper, or paper towels work fine, but may not hold the steam in as much (many recipes benefits from the steam retention). Microwave safe plastic lids are considered acceptable. Usually we prefer to use a lid from glass, ceramic, or silicone and just use the microwave safe plastic lids that come with the containers for storing.
Love to learn more about our microwave recipes using fresh ingredients? Check out all our recipes in the microwave for breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner. It’s super easy to learn how to cook fresh and wholesome meals in the microwave. It’s not just for reheating and this appliance definitely needs more credit for cooking real food in minutes. If you make any of our recipes, please share with us in the comments below. Or share your photo with us on social media. We’d love to see! This recipe was originally published in 2019 and re-published in 2021 with updated tips.