Microwave Cheesy Broccoli
Microwave Broccoli with Cheese is amazing. Your kids will LOVE this microwave cheesy broccoli and a great way for everyone to eat their veggies.
Microwave Broccoli with Cheese
This is a broccoli with cheese in the microwave is a favorite dish for kids! And parents love it because it’s so easy to make. You have to try to microwave broccoli. It’s definitely a game changer. Within minutes, fresh broccoli is steamed in the microwave. End results are amazing. The broccoli is absolutely perfect “steamed” and cooked. With the topping of cheese, it’s the perfect cheesy broccoli dish that’s budget friendly. It takes a few steps: all you need to do is to add the broccoli to a bowl, a little water, cover it and microwave. Then top with cheese.
Video Making “Steamed” Broccoli with Cheese in the Microwave
How to Cook Cheesy Broccoli in the Microwave (Tips)
- Fresh Broccoli: Start with fresh broccoli florets. The flavor and texture is awesome when you start with fresh broccoli. There’s lots of health benefits to eating fresh broccoli.
- Even cuts: Make sure to cut the broccoli into even bite sized pieces. Having even cut pieces will ensure even cooking. That way, all the broccoli pieces are cooked to your liking. Add a few seconds (15 second increments) to finalize the broccoli to your preferred texture.
- Best cheese? There’s so many options, but we love classic cheddar cheese with the broccoli. Parmesan is nice too for this microwave broccoli with cheese.
- Melted butter: Finish off the dish with some butter and melt it on top of the broccoli.
- Add enough seasonings: Don’t forget to add enough seasoning (salt, pepper, spices) to bring out the flavor. A squeeze of lemon juice is nice.
- All microwave broccoli with cheese recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Microwave “Steamed” Broccoli with Cheese
- 2 cups (180 g) broccoli florets , cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) water
- kosher salt , to taste
- pepper , to taste
- 2-3 Tablespoons (30-45 ml) grated cheese
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the broccoli, water, salt and pepper.
- Cover with a microwave safe lid or plate and Microwave on High for 4 minutes.
- Stir and test doneness. If needed, cover again and continue microwaving for 15 second intervals or until cooked to your preference.
- Sprinkle with cheese on top and cover for about 1 minute or microwave for about 15 seconds to melt the cheese. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- 600-800w – Lower Wattage Microwaves: More time often needed
- 900-1100w – Average Wattage Microwaves
- 1200-1300w – High Wattage Microwaves: Less time often needed
- Microwave safe glass (particularly borosilicate glass) & ceramic containers are the recommended choice. *Do not use cracked or otherwise damaged containers.
- Microwave safe plastic containers are considered safe by the FDA but many health organizations caution against using them.
- Never use plastics (containers, bags, wrap, etc.) that are not labeled microwave safe. Never use styrofoam, metal, or aluminum foil.
- Lids – microwave safe glass, ceramic or silicone is best. A microwave safe plate works great as a lid. Parchment paper, wax paper, or paper towels work fine, but may not hold the steam in as much (many recipes benefits from the steam retention). Microwave safe plastic lids are considered acceptable. Usually we prefer to use a lid from glass, ceramic, or silicone and just use the microwave safe plastic lids that come with the containers for storing.
Check out more of our Microwave Recipes Here. There’s something for everyone on our delicious list. If you’re wanting to explore more then try our breakfast recipes in the microwave. It’s a great way to get a quick and nutritious morning meal when you’re getting ready in the morning.