Microwave Chicken and Broccoli
Microwave chicken and broccoli is a quick and easy healthy dinner. If you never thought about microwaving chicken than you need to try it to believe it.
Can You Microwave Chicken and Broccoli?
You will be surprised with the results of this amazing juicy chicken and broccoli in the microwave recipe. Moist and fantastic the chicken and broccoli is healthy and “steamed” to juicy perfection. The heat of the microwave actually steams the chicken perfectly and the broccoli is bright green and delicious. Adding the garlic and spices makes it over the top flavorful. These small chicken bites are not dry at all and the juices that release are the perfect sauce to top on rice or pasta. It’s a quick dinner that your kids will love.
Video Making Chicken & Broccoli in the Microwave
How to Cook Chicken and Broccoli in Microwave (Tips)
- What cut of chicken can you use: Boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs work great.
- Cut chicken and broccoli to same size: Make sure the chicken is cut into even bite sized pieces. This will ensure the chicken and broccoli cooks evenly together.
- Small bite sized: cut the chicken into small bite sized pieces for quick cooking. If you like your chicken bites bigger, that’s ok. Just make sure to add more cooking time in the microwave to make sure the chicken is thoroughly cooked through at and internal safe temperature of 165°F.
- Seasonings: add enough seasonings to make this delicious! Use different spices or add your favorite sauce on top.
- Add cheese: Add some cheese on top to make it extra cheesy and flavorful
- All microwave chicken and broccoli recipe details are in the recipe box below.
- Try our microwave cheesy broccoli as a quick side dish.
Microwave Healthy Chicken & Broccoli Bites
- 1/2 pound (227 g) boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh meat , cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups (182 g) broccoli florets , cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) dried herbs of choice (basil, oregano, thyme, dill etc.)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) kosher salt , or to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) grated cheese (optional)
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine the chicken, broccoli, oil, garlic powder, dried herbs, salt, and pepper. Stir to evenly combine.
- Cover with a microwave safe lid or plate and Microwave on High for 3 minutes.
- Stir to separate any raw chicken pieces and then cover again. Continue to Microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds. Check the doneness and if needed continue microwaving for 30 second intervals or until cooked to your linking and internal temperature reaches at least 165°F (74°C).
- Keeping the lid on for a few minutes will also allow the chicken to continue cooking in the hot steam.
- If adding the optional cheese, sprinkle the top with the grated cheese and microwave for another 15 seconds or cover and let sit for about 1 minute until cheese is melted.
- 600-800w – Lower Wattage Microwaves: More time often needed
- 900-1100w – Average Wattage Microwaves
- 1200-1300w – High Wattage Microwaves: Less time often needed
- Microwave safe glass (particularly borosilicate glass) & ceramic containers are the recommended choice. *Do not use cracked or otherwise damaged containers.
- Microwave safe plastic containers are considered safe by the FDA but many health organizations caution against using them.
- Never use plastics (containers, bags, wrap, etc.) that are not labeled microwave safe. Never use styrofoam, metal, or aluminum foil.
- Lids – microwave safe glass, ceramic or silicone is best. A microwave safe plate works great as a lid. Parchment paper, wax paper, or paper towels work fine, but may not hold the steam in as much (many recipes benefits from the steam retention). Microwave safe plastic lids are considered acceptable. Usually we prefer to use a lid from glass, ceramic, or silicone and just use the microwave safe plastic lids that come with the containers for storing.
You’ll Love these Other Microwave Recipes
- Cheesy Microwave Broccoli
- Microwave Eggs “Fried Egg”
- Juicy Microwave Garlic Parmesan Chicken Bites
- Frittata recipe in the microwave
- This recipe was originally published in 2020.
Check out all our recipes in the microwave for breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner. Learn more about wholesome and fresh meals in the microwave. It’s easy to learn how to cook fresh and wholesome meals in the microwave. It’s not just for reheating and this appliance definitely needs more credit for cooking real food in minutes. We have a great list of breakfast recipes too that can make morning meals easier and quicker. Enjoy! Here’s a discussion about the best microwave.