We love posting and sharing our easy chicken recipes. That’s why the original idea for this website was for chicken. But we didn’t want to inundate you all with back-to-back chicken recipes because we figured you all would need a break and want some sweets and other recipes thrown in from time to time. Now today is another chicken recipe but it’s a baked garlic chicken thighs recipe in lemon sauce that is outstanding and has been a reader favorite! Today it’s all about baked chicken thighs cause quite frankly, it’s one of our favorite and easy weeknight dinners. Within 30 minutes, we have a quick version of a roast chicken dinner with our favorite cut of chicken, the juicy thighs. Last Spring when we were inundated with lemons from the garden, we made lemon chicken in every form possible. On one evening, we threw together a quick dinner with these oven baked garlic chicken thighs with lemon sauce.
Watch the video for Baked Garlic Chicken Thighs with Lemon Sauce:
juicy and amazing creamy garlic lemon chicken!
add some pasta to make it a perfect complete meal!
It’s so delicious and easy to make, it’s hard not to eat more than our reasonable sized portion, which is one and a half thighs each? Or maybe two? When we’re hungry, we’ll each eat two. And we don’t ever feel guilty about it! Hope you enjoy our baked garlic chicken thighs!
This Baked Garlic Lemon Chicken Recipe was originally published in 2014 and re-published in 2018 with updated photos and video.
Season the chicken thighs liberally with salt and pepper. The flavor really comes through when you season the chicken well and with the sauce added on top, it's divine!
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- kosher salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- (optional) little bit of paprika and ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- zest of 1 medium lemon
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , or to taste
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley (optional garnish)
- optional: serve with cooked pasta , noodles, rice, steamed veggies or side of bread.
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Trim excess fat and/or skin around the chicken thighs. Pat dry the chicken thighs. Season all sides of chicken with salt and pepper. (optional) Season with sprinkle of paprika and ground cumin.
- Heat a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter to skillet and melt. When the butter completely melts add the chicken skin side down and sear the chicken. Cook until the chicken skin is brown and crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Flip the chicken and cook the other side for about 2 minutes. Turn off heat and remove the chicken from the pan, then add garlic and Worcestershire to the skillet. Return the chicken to the pan, skin side up. Place the skillet in the oven and bake the chicken for about 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken thighs are cooked through.
- After chicken is cooked, remove it from the skillet. Heat the skillet over medium heat, and then whisk in all of the ingredients for the lemon sauce (lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, dijon mustard, salt, and cream). Add additional salt/pepper to taste.
- Simmer the sauce for about 2 minutes, or until heated through. Return the chicken to the pan and let it soak up the sauce for about 2 minutes. Garnish with parsley, optional.
- Serve the chicken with the lemon sauce over rice, pasta or noodles.