Crispy Lasagna Egg Rolls Recipe
Our recipe for lasagna egg rolls was inspired after a day at our County Fair. We ordered a batch of deep fried goodies because we were curious about how it would taste. Our expectations were kinda low, thinking it was going to be a bland, flavorless “egg roll”. OH WOW, we were totally wrong and shocked at how delicious these crispy appetizers were! After that, we were hooked and ordered another batch. Then immediately went into our test kitchen to create a recipe so we can keep eating these because they’re that good. Yup, we’re hooked because the cheesy, tomato sauce and strips of pasta all rolled and deep fried can’t be passed up. It’s so delicious and seriously a fantastic appetizer to share that will blow everyones minds. Just a note: these rolls are in the “egg roll” shaped and they don’t have any egg in them. The term is just to identify the shape and better yet, each bite tastes even better because the egg rolls wrappers are thin and crispy.
Video: Recipe for Lasagna Egg Rolls
How to Make Lasagna Egg Rolls
These crispy rolls are perfect when you have leftover lasagna. But what if you don’t? We bought an small frozen pre-made lasagna and cooked that up! It was perfect because the lasagna was already pre-made and it’s not a huge portion. The serving size was perfect for the egg rolls and with some leftover for a little lasagna dinner. All recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Crispy Lasagna Egg Rolls
- 3 cups (710 g) cooked lasagna , cooled
- 1 cup (112 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 15 (15 ) egg roll wrappers
- water , for sealing the wrappers
- vegetable oil , for frying
- 1/2-1 cup (120-240 ml) dipping sauce of choice , marinara, ranch, bbq sauce, etc.
- Cook & Portion Lasagna: Cook the lasagna and then let cool to at least room temperature or use leftover lasagna. Cut into small slices about 2 Tablespoons in volume.
- Rolling: Using egg roll wrappers or spring roll wrappers, add the 2 Tablespoons piece of the lasagna filling to each wrapper. Add about 2 teaspoons of shredded cheese on top. Tuck and roll the wrapper around the filling (watch the video in the post above to see how to roll even and tight rolls). Brush the top corner of the wrapper with water to help seal the wrapper end, and then finish rolling the egg roll. Repeat for all the egg rolls.
- Frying: Fill large frying pan with about 1/2-inch of vegetable oil and heat oil to about 350°F/175°C. Carefully add egg rolls to frying pan, without crowding the egg rolls in the pan (they will stick together if placed too close. Fry the egg rolls in batches if needed). Fry each side of the egg rolls for about 2-3 minutes or until crisp and golden brown (try to keep the oil temperature at about 350°F/175°C). Remove and blot on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Allow to cool a little (the filling will be super hot right after frying), and then serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
More of our –> Egg Roll & Spring Roll Recipes Here
More awesome lasagna recipes here.