How to Cook Air Fryer Steak: Perfect and Juicy
You will love air fryer steak, it’s a game changer. Here’s our perfect and easy recipe for air fryer steak. It truly is so easy, it’s hard to believe that steak can come out so juicy and delicious! Seriously friends, this air fried steak recipe is a game changer.
Can You Air Fry Steak?
Absolutely yes and it’s definitely one of our favorite quick dinners. Our air fryer steak recipe is perfect for two and within minutes, steak dinner is served. You can adjust cooking times to your preferred doneness. Just add some butter or oil, then salt and pepper to the steaks.
Best Air Fryer Steak Recipe
Our recipe is great because it’s not bland and super simple. We add some garlic salt sometimes for extra flavor. You can also add some compound butter during serving for extra flavor. Air fry the steaks and the steaks will come out fantastic! Serve it with a baked potato, mushrooms, a salad, pasta or what ever you want to complete your wonderful steak dinner. You’ll be so pleased with air fried steak that you’ll want to eat it more often. So good and so juicy!
Video: How to Cook Air Fried Steak
Tips on How to Cook Air Fryer Steak
- Preheat air fryer for about 5 minutes. You must pre-heat your air fryer. This will ensure that the steak can get a nice sear.
- Make sure to pat your steak dry of moisture with a paper towel. Lightly oil steak and season with salt and pepper or with your favorite steak seasoning.
- Air fry the steak then flip the steak
- Continue air frying and let steak rest before serving.
- All recipe details and step by step photos are in the recipe box below.
What are the Best Cuts of Steak to Cook?
Look for a steak that has good marbling and fat like rib eye steaks. Other great steak cuts are New York steaks, T-Bones, Porterhouse steaks and some sirloins. Although filet mignon doesn’t have a lot of fat, it’s a tender cut so it cooks well in the air fryer. For other inexpensive cuts or with less marbling, you should cut them and cook them as steak bites. Serve with some air fryer vegetables like asparagus, broccoli or green beans and you’re set!
Here’s more great air fryer recipes.
What are the Best Air Fryers?
Here’s our extensive write up on Air Fryer World’s Best Air Fryer Guide. There’s so many on the market now. You just need to research and find the ones that fits your needs, capacity and style. We group the basket style air fryers into 2 main size groups: 3-4 qt. range & the 5-6 qt. range. There’s oven style and basket style. With so many to choose from, we highlight the ones that are most popular for small to medium sized families. Here’s our favorites:
Good Mid-Sized Air Fryers
“That’s a stylish Air Fryer” was said as we unboxed the Cosori. Beyond being stylish, it has cooked great. The basket is not as tall and wider than most in its size group, which is perfect. You’ll have a lot better results in an air fryer with single layered, spread out foods, then with ones piled high and thick.
The non-stick basket style (non-wire base) & smoothness of the basket tray is also great for clean up.
Has a great ceramic coated basket, one of the longest lasting we’ve used. Super powerful fan that will often cook recipes even faster than other air fryers. We initially returned our first one because we thought we wouldn’t like the basket style. After reconsidering, we bought another and are super glad we did. We love it’s basket and just a platform insert. One less bulky thing to wash. This is a great air fryer.
Simple functional panel. Solid basket design that is less likely to come unscrewed or break like other designs frequently do after a few months of repeated use. Great price for the size. They have several color options for the design-minded user.
Good Larger Air Fryers
This is quickly becoming one of our favorite larger basket style air fryers. Great basket size, good controls, cooks nice. Clean up is great. It has become one of our kitchen favorites.
Most of us are familiar with the Instant Pot Brand of pressure cookers. They now make air fryers and it has become a regular in our kitchen. The Vortex plus 9-in-1 is beyond the conventional air fryer. The “plus” boasts features beyond the hot circulating air: Broil, Bake, Dehydrate, Rotisserie, Roast and Re-heat.
12 Cooking modes. Connects to your smartphone & has Alexa or Google Assistant integration for voice control. 32 quarts. Large enough it actually has a rotisserie too.
Air Fryer Steak
- 2 (6 oz.) ((170g)) steaks , 3/4″ thick rinsed and patted dry
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) olive oil , to coat
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5) garlic powder (optional)
- salt , to taste
- pepper , to taste
- Lightly coat steaks with olive oil. Season both sides of steaks with garlic powder (optional), salt and pepper (we’ll usually season liberally with salt & pepper).
- Preheat the Air Fryer at 400°F for 4 minutes. Once preheated, place steaks in air fryer bakset or rack.
- Air Fry for 400°F for 10-18 minutes, flipping halfway though (cooking time dependent on how thick and cold the steaks are plus how done you prefer your steaks).If you want steaks to be cooked more, add additional 3-6 minutes cooking time.
- Add pat of butter on top of steak, cover with foil and allow steak to rest for 5 minutes.Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed. Serve immediately.
- Recipes were cooked in 3-4 qt air fryers. If using a larger air fryer, the recipe might cook quicker so adjust cooking time.
- If cooking in more than two steaks, make sure not to overcrowd the Air Fryer basket. If needed, cook in batches to avoid overcrowding. The first batch will take longer to cook if Air Fryer is not already pre-heated.
- Remember to set a timer to shake/flip/toss the food as directed in recipe.
Nutrition Information per Serving
This air fried steak recipe was originally published in 2018 and re-published in 2019 with updated video.