Salisbury Steak with Mushroom and Onion Gravy
We’re all about gravy and our Salisbury steak recipe with mushroom gravy is amazing. And what makes this salisbury steak recipe even more amazing is that we have caramelized onions in the gravy! Woot woot!
Best Salisbury Steak Recipe
The flavor of the onions and the mushrooms caramelizing together makes an ordinary gravy into an outstanding mushroom gravy recipe. That’s what makes our When you’re craving a hearty meal our easy recipe will definitely satisfy your hunger. It’s the perfect comfort food on a cold day or any day that you’ve worked hard and want to treat yourself to a fulfilling dinner. Families are enjoying this salisbury steak dinner and getting raves from kids too. It’s a great way to get them to eat mushrooms without them even knowing it.
Video: Salisbury Steak with Mushroom-Onion Gravy:
How to Make Salisbury Steak Recipe with Mushroom Gravy
- Mix all ingredients together and shape the patties. Make sure to give them a good sear.
- Remove patties from pan and make the mushroom gravy. Then add the patties back in the pan.
- Our classic mushroom gravy recipe has been such a hit that we’ve added it to so many other dishes: pork chops with mushroom gravy and skillet chicken with mushroom gravy are two of our hugely popular one-pot dishes.
- Sure there’s always those who can’t stand mushrooms which is totally ok! You can make this recipe without the mushrooms.
- Or what if you love onions? Then our onion gravy is absolutely superb and works fantastic with this salisbury steak recipe.
- What ever you decide, just make it your own and pretty much any type of gravy will be amazing.
- The marinade for our Salisbury steak is super flavorful too so you’re in for a real treat! All recipe details with step-by-step photos are in the recipe box below.
Can You Freeze Salisbury Steaks?
Yes and it’s a great way to have dinner ready when you get home. Just make sure they are thoroughly cooled before you freeze them. Then freeze them in a freezer safe container. Before serving, take them out the night before and allow them to thaw in the fridge. Re-heat in a pan before serving again.
What Other Types of Meat ?
Traditionally salisbury steak is made with ground beef. But there’s so many other options for meat if you want to eat something other than beef.
- Ground chicken or turkey are healthier options, especially if you’re using ground breast meat or white meat.
- If you love pork, then using ground pork is great. The rich flavors are fantastic.
- Fan of ground lamb meat? This option is equally delicious.
- Using plant based beyond meat or impossible meat for a vegan Salisbury steak patty is wonderful. For the gravy, use vegan or vegetable stock and you’ve got a delicious plant based Salisbury steak.
- So there’s something for everyone!
Best Salisbury Steak Recipe with Mushroom-Onion Gravy
For the steak:
- 1 pound (454 g) ground beef
- 1/4 cup (30 g) breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) kosher salt
- lots fresh ground black pepper , to taste
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) cooking oil , for searing beef patties
For the Mushroom Gravy
- In large bowl mix together all the steak ingredients (beef, breadcrumbs, egg, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic salt, mustard powder, salt, and black pepper). Shape into 4 oval patties.
- Heat large pan over medium-high heat and then add oil. Brown both sides of patties (about 1 minute per side) and then remove from the pan.
- Keep same pan and beef juices over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and onion and cook until onions are golden and excess mushroom liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes.
- Add butter and garlic to the mushrooms and onions. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour, cooking and stirring to remove lumps. Add about 1/2 – 1 cup of beef stock, whisking until incorporated.
- Increase heat to High. Slowly pour in the remaining broth and whisk until well combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste (the saltiness and flavors will concentrate some when it reduces down).
- Once gravy starts to boil, reduce heat to low. Stirring often, simmer until the gravy starts to thicken, about 5-10 minutes. Add salisbury steak patties back into the gravy and cook until the steak patties are cooked to your preferred doneness (usually about 5-10 minutes), stirring the gravy occasionally around the steaks. Taste for seasoning and add more salt & pepper, if desired.
- Serve the steaks topped with the mushroom sauce. They are excellent over rice, pasta or mashed potatoes!