How to Shuck Corn in Microwave
Here’s an easy way to shuck corn in the microwave that’s clean and quick! And best of all, you can have delicious and juicy corn on the cob. We’ll also show you an easy way to get corn off the cob. How to de kernel corn is super easy with some simple easy tricks. Then all you need to make sure to have butter, salt and pepper ready to go. Grab a sharp knife, some corn and you’ll need a microwave. You microwave the whole corn in the husk for about 4 minutes. This is crazy easy and it truly results in a delicious, juicy and fragrant corn.
VIDEO: How to Shuck and De-Kernal Corn
Cooking the corn in the husk adds a wonderful flavor. Then all you need to do is to cut off the bottom stem into the first row of corn and the whole corn just slips out! That’s it and it’s that easy. To de-kernal the corn there’s a few different ways people do it. Some will place the whole corn in the center of a bundt cake pan. But not everyone has a bundt cake pan so we use two bowls: one small and one large. The directions and photos are below. Follow them and within minutes you’ll have amazing corn on the cob or if you de kernel the corn, you have delicious corn kernels for any recipe that you want!
This recipe was originally published in 2017 and re-published in 2019 with updated video.
How To Shuck & De-Kernel Corn
- 1 Whole Fresh Corn
- 1 Tablespoon (15 g) Butter optional
- Kosher Salt to taste, optional
- Fresh Cracked Black Pepper to taste, optional
- Place the whole corn with husks-on in the microwave. Don't remove the husks! They hold in the steam and add great flavor too. Microwave the corn on high heat for about 4 minutes.
- Carefully remove the corn from the microwave using a kitchen towel. The corn will be hot!Cut off the stem end of the corn making sure you cut into at least one row of corn from the stem.
- Squeeze the top of the husk to push out the whole corn. It should slip out pretty easy but if it doesn't, try using a fork on the cut-end to help pull it out.
- Enjoy with butter, salt, and pepper, or de-kernel (see next step) for using the corn in recipes.
- To de-kernel: Place a small bowl upside down in a larger bowl. Place the corn on the small bowl and stand the corn upright on the small bowl. Hold the corn firmly and cut downward on the corn until all the kernels fall into the large bowl.