Classic buffalo wings have a few simple ingredients and devoted wing aficionados rarely stray from the original buffalo wing concept. But we’re here to break a few rules and toss in some fresh garlic because we love garlic and it’s nice to mix things up from time to time. A nice fragrance of garlic adds a wonderful layer of extra flavor and will bring smiles to everyone’s faces, particularly to those who love garlic.
As the minced garlic cooks in the melted butter, try to cook the garlic till it just begins to crisp up, but not burnt. No one likes burnt garlic taste, so be cautious. and experiment with more or less paprika for that pop of spice. Though this recipe uses the classic Franks Original hot sauce, try other variations with sriracha hot sauce or an Asian style chili garlic sauce. What ever you decide to you, these this buffalo wing recipe will be fantastic.
More Chicken Wing Recipes and Game Day Recipes
Can’t decide to fry or bake your buffalo wings? Here’s a discussion.
Crispy Garlicky Buffalo Chicken Wings
Yield: Serves 3-4
Total Time: 1 hour
Chicken wings can be prepared in different ways to achieve their crispness: fried or baked, with flour or not. Visit this write up on different ways to prepare chicken wings. This recipe shows a baked technique, but you can certainly fry them if you like or pre-boil them to render excess fat and make them crispy.
- about 2 pounds Chicken Wings
- Olive Oil, for coating wings
- Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- fresh cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 4 Tablespoons Butter (1/2 stick)
- 4 Tablespoons Franks Original Hot Sauce
- 1-2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon Salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Rinse and pat dry chicken wings. If desired, cut wings into wingettes and drumette pieces. Lightly coat chicken with olive oil and then season with salt and pepper.
- Lay wings and drumettes on baking sheet. Bake wings in oven for about 40-45 minutes, flip them about halfway through baking time, after the first 20 minutes.
- Make buffalo sauce: In medium sauce pan melt the butter, then add minced garlic. Cook garlic till fragrant, but not burnt.
- Add brown sugar, salt, paprika and Franks Hot Sauce to buffalo sauce mixture. Cook for about 2 minutes till sauce is combined well.Remove from heat.
- When wings are cooked, add them to large bowl and toss the wing sauce. Coat all wings evenly with sauce.
- Serve warm, with sides of celery sticks, carrot sticks or blue cheese dip.