Maple bourbon chicken wings are sticky, clingy and deliciously addictive! This maple bacon bourbon sauce makes chicken wings extra amazing! If you’re going to have a Super Bowl party filled with appetizers and classic buffalo wings, this recipe is sure to make your party a hit. This recipe for chicken wings can be adapted to any style of cooking the wings. Here’s a discussion on different ways to cook your chicken wings or buffalo wings. If you want to have crispy chicken wings or extra crunchy, you can choose how you want to cook them. And then just pour on this maple bacon bourbon sauce to really wow the crowd.
Watch the video making these awesome Maple Bourbon Bacon Chicken Wings:
The best part about these maple bacon chicken wings is that it’s decadent with pieces of bacon clinging to the wings. Hey, if it’s a Super Bowl party then no one should be counting calories, so the more bacon on the maple bourbon chicken wings, the better! You can always add a plate of celery and carrots to please the healthy eaters. 🙂
And what about everyone under 21 years of age? You can easily remove the bourbon from the recipe and replace it with some apple juice for sweetness and flavor. It’s still delicious without the alcohol! Also, if you want them to be crispier, after you toss them with the sauce, you can bake them in a 350 degree F oven for about 5 minutes. This will definitely give them an extra crispy and crunchy exterior.
This recipe was originally published in 2014 and re-published in 2017 with new images.
Please read recipe post for more recipe details and photos. Chicken wings can be prepared in different ways: fried or baked, dredged in flour or not. Visit this write up on different ways to prepare chicken wings. This recipe shows a baked technique, but you can certainly fry them if you like for extra crispy-ness.
- 1/2 cup (120ml) ketchup
- 1/2 cup (120ml) maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (60ml) bourbon
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) soy sauce (use Tamari for gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) brown sugar
- 6 slices bacon , cut into ½ - inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 pounds (910g) chicken wings, split
- grape seed or canola oil , to coat wings (or other high flashpoint cooking oil)
- salt , to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper , to taste
- In a bowl whisk together the the ketchup, maple syrup, bourbon, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, and brown sugar. Set aside.
Heat a saucepan over medium heat and cook the bacon until nearly crisp. If desired, drain or ladle out excess bacon fat (leave some to help cook garlic and for flavor).
Add the garlic and cook for until the garlic is lightly browned, 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in sauce and reduce heat to low then simmer the sauce for about 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- Rinse and pat dry chicken wings. If desired, cut wings into wingettes and drumette pieces. Lightly coat chicken with olive oil and then season with salt and pepper.
- Lay wings and drumettes on baking sheet. Bake wings in oven for about 40-45 minutes until golden brown. flip over then about halfway through baking, after the first 20 minutes.
- Warm the maple-bourbon sauce, toss the wings in the sauce and serve. Optional - if you like the sauce a little more set into the wings. Place the sauced wings back on the baking sheet pan and bake for another 5 minutes and then serve.