Watermelon Aqua Fresca (Refreshing!)
Have you ever tried Mexican watermelon aqua fresca? If you love making fresh juice and enjoy watermelon, then this popular Mexican drink is for you. It’s refreshing and non-alcoholic so it’s perfect for everyone of all ages. We love this watermelon aqua fresca recipe drink so much and can literally drink gallons of it.
What are aquas frescas?
Aquas frescas are popular fruit drinks originating from Mexico. Literally meaning “fresh water”, these light non-alcoholic drinks are made from fresh fruit juice, often with lime juice and a touch of sugar. That’s it. What you get is a light juice that’s bright and perfectly sweet. There’s all types of fruit aquas frescas made from pineapple, watermelon, mango, hibiscus flowers and much more. Today we’re talking about Mexican watermelon aqua fresca, which is one of our favorite Summer drinks to share for guests of all ages.
Video: Watermelon Aqua Fresca Recipe
How to Make Mexican Watermelon Aqua Frescas (TIPS )
- Find the best and most fresh seedless watermelon you can find. Seedless is so much easier to juice than seeded watermelon. But if seeded is all that you can find then just be patient and remove all the seeds.
- Chop the watermelon in smaller cubes. Here’s a tutorial on how to cut watermelon into sticks. Then from there cut them into cubes so they can fit your blender.
- We start with just a minimal amount of sugar. Taste the juice after blending. If you want it more sweet then add additional sugar.
- Pour the aqua fresca in a pitcher or big jars in the fridge. Chill the drink first so when you serve, adding ice will keep the juice cold. If you don’t chill the watermelon aqua fresca first, it’ll melt the ice and water down the drink.
- This is the perfect way to use up a watermelon that doesn’t have the best texture, but has good flavor.
- Want to know how to pick a good watermelon? Check out this write up on How to Pick a Watermelon
- All watermelon aqua fresca recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Premade for parties
This drink is perfect for parties and gatherings! Like we mentioned above, pour the aquas frescas in a pitcher or big jars in the fridge. Chill the drink first so when you serve, adding ice will keep the juice cold. If you don’t chill the watermelon aquas frescas first, it’ll melt the ice and water down the drink. Here’s a bit more history on aquas frescas drinks.
Watermelon Aqua Fresca
- 5-6 cups (1.2 l) cubed watermelon (about 1.5-2 lbs.(680-910g))
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) lime juice , or to taste
- 2 Tablespoons (39 ml) sugar , or more to your preferred sweetness
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) water
- Strainer optional
- Combine the watermelon cubes, lime juice, sugar, and water in a blender.
- Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust flavor to personal preference.
- (Optional) Strain the juice and discard the remaining pulp.
- Cover and chill completely. Keep chilled until ready to serve. It's best to make sure the drink is fully chilled so that the ice doesn't melt too fast and water down the drink.
- Serve over ice.