These super fun inside a watermelon margaritas recipe is awesome and a blast for your next Summer gathering. It’s a favorite and popular margarita recipe with chunks of fresh watermelon!
Holy cow this margarita is so much fun and it’s not just any ordinary margarita recipe nor is it any standard watermelon margarita. It’s actually made inside the watermelon and not in a blender. Ok, it’s totally cool to see it happening and though you get more chunky pieces (depending on your blender power) it’s still super delicious. Hand held blender works fine and you just have to blend a little longer if you want a more liquid texture. For the most smooth and less chunky results, we like to use our immersion blenders which are absolutely one of our favorite kitchen tools.
Watch the watermelon margaritas recipe video:
Best tool for this watermelon cocktail recipe?
Immersion blenders are super fantastic because not only are they powerful, they really can break up the watermelon chunks inside the watermelon. And of course, they’re not just useful for watermelon margaritas! They’re perfect for blending soups that are in a pot so you don’t have to transfer then into a blender then back into the pot. There’s different brands of immersion blender and you can research which you like better. But they’re all super awesome to have handy in the kitchen, especially for this watermelon margarita recipe.
Party Pitcher Style Watermelon Margaritas
We also call it the Party Watermelon because literally, it’s a total party behind it. Also, it easily serves a crowd. You can definitely customize this watermelon margaritas recipe to your taste. Like more tequila? Then go ahead and add more! Everyone will have a blast watching all this happen in front of their eyes. It’s just a fun and totally different way to serve watermelon margaritas. This is fun to watch, entertaining and you’ll be on everyones Instagram. You’ll be the famous friend who made a ton of margaritas inside the watermelon. You can easily serve it to kids too without all the booze and they’ll have so much fun seeing their drink pour straight out of a big watermelon. And if you love fresh pineapple, you’ve gotta try these awesome pineapple margaritas!
Thinking inside the Melon:
Here’s a couple options for the inside approach for these Watermelon Margaritas, plus one of our favorite cocktail books of all time:
- 8 lb. (3.63 kg) ripe watermelon - If it is larger than 10 lbs. the beater blades won't reach inside to blend
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) Tequila , or to taste
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh lime juice , or to taste
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) orange liqueur (i.e. Grand Marnier, Cointreau, Triple Sec)
- sea salt , for rimming glasses - optional
- lime slices , for garnish optional
- one 6-8 ounce paper or plastic cup
- Carefully cut a hole in the watermelon large enough to fit your beater blade. Push the blade into the watermelon hole and slowly blend the watermelon interior into juice. Make sure to scrape all the way to the sides and bottom of the watermelon to maximize juice.
- Ladle out about 1 cup of watermelon juice to make room for the rest of the liquid ingredients. You can reserve the 1 cup of removed juice and make a separate margarita later.
- Add tequila, lime juice, and orange liqueur. Insert the beater blades back into the watermelon to mix the margarita and combine all the ingredients.
- Make Pour Spout: Cut out the bottom of a paper/plastic cup. Cut out a section of the cup so it fits into the watermelon hole to use as a spout to pour. If necessary, round out the hole in the watermelon so the cup fits smoothly against the edges and insert the cup into the watermelon hole.
- Rub some lime juice on rim of glasses and roll rim in sea salt (optional). Add ice to glasses and top with watermelon margarita and lime garnish. Enjoy!