Video: How to Poach Chicken Breasts for Moist & Healthy Chicken
Poaching chicken is easier than you think and it’s not difficult at all to have moist and juicy chicken. Think of all the chicken salads and chicken sandwiches you can make with juicy poached chicken. Sometimes a chicken recipe calls for left over chicken, but if you don’t have any at your disposal, you can make a quick and easy poached chicken that’s moist and tender. Within a few minutes, poached boneless skinless chicken breasts that’s simmered in water and herbs turns into a flavorful and perfect texture for healthy chicken recipes that are low in fat. Because there’s no oil or butter used in this poached chicken breast recipe, the only calories come from the actual chicken that you use.
You can also customize the flavor by adding smashed garlic and a multitude of other herbs and spices. A little bit of spices goes a long way for flavor!
This poached chicken recipe is made on the stove top and though the video shows you how to poach chicken breasts, you can certainly use chicken thighs or any part of the chicken that you want. But the timing for the recipe is set for boneless skinless chicken, so if you’re wanting to poach a whole chicken, we’ll have a video for this in a few weeks.
Poached Chicken Breasts
- 2 lbs. (907 g) boneless , skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1-2 Tablespoons (15-30 ml) Kosher Salt
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) Black Peppercorns
- 2 Bay Leaves
- small Handful of fresh Herbs (any combo of Italian parsley, thyme, oregano, sage, rosemary, etc..) tied together
- Fill a medium to large pot with water and add the salt, peppercorns, bay leaves and herbs to the pot. Bring the water to a boil then add the chicken breasts.Bring the water back to a boil, then lower the heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat, then cover with a lid and keep the chicken in the hot water to continue cooking for another 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the water and shred, slice, or use however it is needed for your recipes.