Holy cow, when we had a bite of this berry buttermilk breakfast cake, we were floored. It’s so good and so easy to make, we couldn’t stop ourselves from a second serving. There’s everything we love in this breakfast cake: tons of fresh berries and buttermilk, soft texture, just the right sweetness.
Enjoy a slice of this cake in the video!
It’s not just any berry breakfast cake. Nor is it any ordinary buttermilk breakfast cake. That’s why we decided to call it the very berry buttermilk breakfast cake. It’s a whole mouth-full to say, when when you take a bite, you’ll understand why we couldn’t make the name any shorter. And best of all, we couldn’t just add one type of berry. We added three different kinds and we’re super glad we did because it truly is a very-very-berry cake filled with berries in every bite.
Certainly, you can just add one type of berry. If you do, we suggest blueberries because of the rich delicious flavor that goes out of the cake when the blueberries are baked. But if you have some extra berries lying around, definitely make it the very-berry by adding raspberries, strawberries and blackberries. YUM!
At this point we haven’t tried making the breakfast cake with frozen berries. The fresh berries have been so good in our local stores lately so it has been the best way to go. However if you try the berry breakfast cake with the frozen berries, we’d love to hear how it comes out.
The hardest part about this cake is that you have to be patient and wait for it to cool. It’s so good that when we made it the third time, we had to wait for the whole thing to cool before we added the whipped topping on top. But patience is key!
You can add what ever berries you like or in any combination. But if you were just to choose one berry, we suggest blueberries because they are so flavorful! You can also bake this in an 8"x8" pan. It will just be a bit taller and take another 5-10 minutes to bake. Makes a 9"x9" Cake
- ½ cup (113g or 1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Zest from 1 large lemon
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) lemon juice
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 (250g) cup flour
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) kosher salt
- 2 cups (12 ounces or 340g) fresh blueberries (or other fresh berries of choice)
- ½ cup (120ml) buttermilk
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Whipped topping or whipped cream (optional)
- Extra berries for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375º F. Grease 9x9 inch square baking pan.
- In large bowl, cream butter, lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla, beat until combined.
- In separate bowl whisk flour for breakfast cake, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry flour mixture and the buttermilk to the wet egg batter, mixing until just combined, don’t overmix. Fold in the berries.
- Spread batter into pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake, sprinkle with powdered sugar and dollop with whipped topping and/or more berries!