Pumpkin Spice Roll Cake
Pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin. Here’s a great pumpkin roll cake recipe to add to your list of favorite pumpkin recipes!
Easy Pumpkin Roll Recipe
So many folk love and live for this time of year because pumpkin is super bountiful. We’ve got a big collection of pumpkin recipes coming your way this season so that you don’t ever get bored of eating pumpkin. There’s so many great ideas for pumpkin recipes, we just need to know where to start. Whether it be a savory pumpkin entree or a sweet pumpkin dessert, any pumpkin lover will be taken care of this season.
Video: how to make pumpkin roll cake:
Today we have for you one of our popular and favorite pumpkin roll cakes. Sure, there’s plenty of different pumpkin roll cakes out there, but this one we had to call “pumpkin spice” because it’s fragrant with all the pumpkin spices that you could ask for. It’s not just like any ordinary pumpkin roll. Each bite of this pumpkin roll recipe reminds you of all the spices that makes this season super duper wonderful.
The cream cheese filling is perfectly sweet with the creamy center that makes each bite of this pumpkin spice roll rock with deliciousness. You can sweeten the creamy cream cheese filling to your desired sweet level. What ever you do, don’t skimp out on the amount of filling because that’s what makes this pumpkin roll cake so awesome! To make this roll even more tastier, try making homemade vanilla extract from Cheryl. Her recipe is fantastic!
Allow the cake to cool completely before you add the filling so that the cream cheese doesn’t melt. If the cake is warm at all and when you spread the filling, it will become soft and ooze all over the place. So patience is the key to making this roll cake pretty!
Also, don’t mistake a 1/2 sheet baking pan with a jelly roll pan. The 1/2 sheet pans are generally 18″x13″ while a jelly roll pan is 15″x10″. You won’t have quite enough batter or filling if using a 1/2 sheet pan. Another tip regarding roll cakes: take your time spreading the batter evenly on the pan before baking. An offset spatula helps make spreading easier.
This recipe was originally published in 2017 and re-published in 2019 with updated video.
Pumpkin Spice Roll Recipe
For the Pumpkin Spice Cake Sheet:
- 3/4 cup (95g or 180ml) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 3/4 cup (170g or 180ml) pumpkin puree
For the Filling:
- 8 oz. (225g) cream cheese , softened at room temperature
- 1 cup (120g or 240ml) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick or 60g) butter , softened
- optional- powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease 15x10 inch jelly roll pan with butter or cooking spray, making sure to grease the edges of the jelly roll pan. Line the greased pan with parchment paper, and then liberally grease the parchment paper.
- Make the Pumpkin Spice Cake Sheet: In large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground nutmeg, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground cloves and salt until evenly combined. Set aside.
- In another larger bowl, beat eggs and sugar together. Then stir in pumpkin puree and beat until smooth. Stir in the dry flour mixture and combine until everything is smooth.
- Pour batter into the prepared jelly roll pan. Spread the batter evenly and then bake for about 15 minutes or until cake is cooked. Immediately roll up the cake starting at the narrow end, gently peeling off paper on the back of the cake as you roll up the cake (it will be hot, but the warmer it is the less likely to crack as you roll). Cover rolled cake with a towel and allow to completely cool.
- Make the filling: Beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and butter together until smooth. Set aside.
- Now gently unroll the cake and spread cream cheese mixture over the cake. Carefully re-roll the cake. Wrap the cake in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1 hour or until the cake is completely cooled and firm enough to slice. Sprinkle powdered sugar over the pumpkin spice roll before serving. Slice and serve!