Skillet Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Your whole family will love this tater tot breakfast casserole! These potato snacks also known as potato puffs and are a popular item and become even more awesome in a breakfast bake. Morning are amazing when you can share a big batch of this skillet tater tot casserole for breakfast or brunch.
Easy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Why do we love this tater tot breakfast bake so much? It’s super easy to make all in one skillet. You don’t have to transfer to another baking dish if you have an oven-safe pan. This breakfast casserole recipe is fantastic for sharing with family, groups, pot-lucks or if you have a few hungry kids. Also, it’s a great make-ahead dish.
Video: Tater Tot Breakfast Bake Recipe
Tips on How To Bake Tater Tot breakfast Casserole Recipe
- Pre-baking or frying the tater tots. This will give a great crispy outside texture. If not and you decide to just add frozen tater tots on top before baking, they just don’t get crispy.
- Using an oven proof or oven safe skillet will make everything easier. All in one pan!
- Meat lovers version: add sausage, bacon and ham if you like!
- Vegetarian: omit the meat and add chopped spinach, kale or asparagus.
- Bake hot: Our recipe is baking at a hotter temperature when compared to other recipes. We like baking it hotter so the tater tots can be crispy.
- All skillet tater tot casserole breakfast recipe details are in the recipe box below.
- Have you tried cauliflower tots instead of tater tots? Check out these cool low carb cauliflower patties https://amzn.to/2CVNWgR!
Easy Make Ahead Overnight Tater Tot Breakfast Bake
- Best results for this skillet tater tot casserole and texture is to just bake the whole casserole. Allow it to cool and then fridge it for the next day.
- When re-heating the next day, just take cooked the casserole out to room temperature for about 1 hour. Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Then bake for about 15-20 minutes OR until the whole casserole is warm throughout the center.
- If you just want to assemble the whole dish un-baked, you can do that. But the tater tots end up a little more soft and mushy. Make sure to allow the casserole to come to room temperature a bit before baking.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Bake
- 1 pound (454 g) frozen tater tots , (about 50 tots)
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) oil
- 1/2 onion , diced
- 1/2 pound (227 g) uncooked breakfast sausage
- 1 bell pepper , seeded & diced
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) black pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) milk
- 1-1/2 cups (57 g) shredded cheddar cheese , divided
- 2 green onions , sliced
- 10” oven-safe skillet
- Preheat oven at 450°F (230°C). Add the tater tots to a 10“ skillet in a single layer (adjust amount of tots to keep it in just a single layer).
- Bake at 450°F (230°C) for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Gently remove the tots from the skillet and set aside. Decrease oven temperature to 400°F(205°C) (Don’t forget this step!)
- Heat the skillet on the stove over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tablespoon of oil then add the onions. Cook for about 1 minute or until softened. Add sausage. Break up sausage and add bell peppers. Then and add garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper. Cook until sausage is browned. Remove skillet from the heat and spread the meat mixture evenly in the pan.
- In a bowl, beat together the eggs and milk. Pour egg mixture over the sausage in the skillet. Spread evenly.
- Sprinkle about 1 cup of cheese over the eggs. Layer tater tots on top of the egg mixture.
- Bake un-covered at 400°F (205°C) for about 20-25 minutes, or until the egg is set and and tater tots are browned on top.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and green onions over the tater tots. Bake for additional 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Allow to cool a bit before serving.
Check out all our Savory & Sweet Breakfast Casserole Recipes Here.