Air Fryer Fish Fillets: Crispy & Homemade
Air Fryer Fish Filets
These homemade air fryer fish filets are fantastic, quick and totally fresh. These are not frozen fish filets in the air fryer. Fresh fillets of fish like tilapia, cod or any fish is the core for this healthy air fried recipe. Just a quick and easy batter, then cooked crispy within minutes is why this is such a popular recipe. Our favorite way to serve this is on a salad, in tacos, in a sandwich or as a snack. It’s a great way to get kids to eat healthy seafood. Just add a bunch of different dips with these crispy fish fillets (kids love dipping) and you have a quick and easy dinner for the family. The possibilities are endless and another reason to keep using your air fryer for fresh and wholesome meals!
Video: Air Fryer Fish Filets (crispy and amazing!)
What is the Best fish to Use for Air Fried Fillets?
- The most popular choice is a white fish variety that has a firm texture. It cooks well and when the fish is firmer, it won’t break apart. Very delicate and thin white fishes like sole might break apart too easy.
- Tilapia is always a popular white fish. You can even do salmon if you like a more rich fish.
- Halibut or cod are other good options too. Though they are more expensive, they have a great texture and flakey texture for air frying. Trader Joe’s frozen fresh cod is a nice option and not too expensive. Just thaw out the fresh cod first and remove all the moisture from thawed frozen fish.
- Check out this list of great healthy fishes you can cook with.
How to Air Fry Homemade Fish Filets
- Prep your fresh fish by blotting it dry of all moisture, If you’re using frozen fresh fish, thaw it completely and then dry it out excess water.
- Slice your fresh fish into about 2″ wide strips or you can leave it as whole fillets. Set your eggs and bread crumbs ready to go.
- Careful! Be gentle when dipping the fish into the egg and breading. This will ensure that it doesn’t come off the fish before you air fry it.
- You can read all the recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Air Fryer Fish Fillets (Homemade & Crispy)
- 1 lb. (454 g) fish fillets , fresh or if frozen, thawed
- oil spray
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt , to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) black pepper , to taste
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) paprika
- 1 cup (100 g) breadcrumbs (or panko, crushed pork rinds, almond flour - you may need more for larger flaked breading)
- 1 (1 ) egg , or more if needed
- Preheat the Air Fryer at 380°F/193°C for 4 minutes.
- If fillets are large, cut in half or to desired size. Make sure they are even sized so they’ll cook evenly. The thicker they are, the longer they will take to cook.Pat the fillets dry then lightly spray with oil spray. Season with the salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Put the breading in a shallow bowl. In another bowl, beat the egg.Dip a fillet in the egg, allowing excess egg to drip off. Place the coated fillet in the breadcrumbs (or breading of choice) and then sprinkle more breadcrumbs on top of the fillet. Gently press the breadcrumbs into the fillets to help them stick onto the fish. Repeat this process for all fish pieces.
- Place a perforated parchment paper (optional but highly recommended) in the air fryer basket or tray and lightly coat with oil spray.Lay coated fish in a single layer on the parchment (cook in batches if needed). Generously spray all sides of the breaded filets with oil spray to coat any dry spots.
- Air Fry at 380°F/193°C for 8-14 minutes, depending on the size and thickness of your fillets. After 6 minutes, flip the fillets. Lightly spray any dry spots than then continue cooking for the remaining time or until they are crispy brown and the fish is cooked through.Serve with your favorite dip: tartar sauce, mustard, aioli, etc.
Check out all our —> Easy Air Fryer Recipes Here