Chili Crisp Recipe
We’re obsessed with chili crunch or chili crisp! This popular condiment was originally served in restaurants and it’s now a staple in home kitchens. This chili garlic crunch recipe is slightly spicy, savory and flavorful with a crunch! You’ll love our chili crisp recipe.
What is Chili Crisp, Chili Onion Crunch or Chili Oil?
We put this chili crisp recipe on so many things and is really a wonderful combination of flavors and textures! These are example of the different terms used to describe basically the same thing: a popular Chinese condiment with different spices infused in oil. The most common ingredients are crushed dried chilies, dried onions or shallots, dried garlic and sometimes Sichuan peppercorns. Everyone has their own recipe with different aromatic combinations. But chili crisp is essentially a crunchy, crispy, spicy condiment that you can put on anything. From noodles to vegetables, eggs and rice chili crunch is universally loved and it can be found in most Chinese restaurants.
Best Brands of Chili Crisp or Chili Crunch?
If you don’t want to make this homemade, you can certainly buy it. It’s available at speciality grocer stores, Asian supermarkets or in the International aisle of your regular markets. Over the last years a new generation of brands have come into the chili crunch crisp market. From more traditional brands to new brands with unique spices, there’s something for everyone. Read more on this chili crisp craze.
Video: Homemade Chili Crisp Crunch Recipe
Best Brand of Chili Crisp or Chili Crunch?
Over the last years a new generation of brands have come into the chili crunch crisp market. From more traditional brands to new brands with unique spices, there’s something for everyone. We love the S&B Crunchy Garlic with Chili Oil. Great texture and savory flavor. Just a touch of heat & sweet. If you want more heat, the others are fantastic options too!
Tips on How to Use Chili Crisp Crunch
- Stir Well: Oil floats to the top and the crunchy ingredients sink to the bottom. So stir the everything together well for easier drizzling.
- Taste first: Some chili crisps are light on the seasoning, so taste yours first. Then drizzle it over your favorite foods.
- More Sticky instead of oily: To make this chili garlic crunch recipe more sticky, add a little honey to make the sauce more sticky. It’ll be a little more sweet but it’s a nice flavor balance.
- The crunch comes from dried garlic and onion. You can easily customize the “crunch” by adding as much or as little as you like.
- Customize the spice level: the heat comes from red chili flakes. Our ratio in the recipe makes this batch Medium. So if you want to be a little more cautious on the heat, add about half. If you really love food extra spicy, double the amount of red chili flakes.
- If it’s your first time using this condiment, go light on the drizzle.
- All homemade chili crunch recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Chili Garlic Crisp/Crunch
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) oil
- 6 cloves fresh garlic , minced
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) red chili flakes
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) chopped dried onion
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) minced dried garlic
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt , if using table salt, use a little less
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cayenne (optional to taste)
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until slightly golden, about 1 minute.
- Immediately remove from heat. Don’t let it overcook and get burnt.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients (red chili flakes, dried onion, dried garlic, soy sauce, sugar, sesame seeds, salt, smoked paprika, and cayenne).
- Allow to cool completely. Put into a mason jar or similar air tight container to store. Store in fridge. Stir well before using.
Nutrition Information per Serving
What Foods to Serve with Chili Onion Garlic Crunch?
- Chili crunch fried eggs are amazing. Use the oil to fry the eggs in and each spoonful is filled with the crunchy bits of spice, garlic and onion.
- How about chili crisp eggs on avocado toast?! This is an amazing meal for mornings, brunch, lunch or dinner. It’s something we can eat anytime of the day.
- Popcorn! Drizzle this stuff on popcorn for a delicious spicy topping. You don’t need the butter! The savory, spicy popcorn is addicting.
- On noodles, it’s fantastic. Or add it to fried rice, pasta, couscous, quinoa or other favorite grains.
- BBQ or grilled meats or vegetables. If you’re having a bbq or grilling party, have a jar of this chili crisp as a condiment. Everyone will be asking why you didn’t have this before! They’ll love it on steak, grilled chicken and more.
- air fryer chicken wings with this chili crisp is the best! You’ll love this recipe for easy wings in the air fryer, then drizzle this crunchy stuff on. YUM.
- there’s so many more things you can serve with this chili garlic crunch recipe. The possibilities are endless. How do you like to serve your chili crisp? What do you eat it with? Share with us in the comments below! We love seeing all the different ways you can eat this delicious stuff. Hope you enjoy our chili crisp recipe!