Air Fried Doritos Crusted Chicken Strips Recipe
We love making crispy chicken strips as you can see in our recipe collection here. Now we’ve added chicken strips with crushed Doritos or any nacho cheese tortilla chips on the outside and now we’re even more obsessed! The salty, crunchy flavors of crushed nacho cheese tortilla chips are amazing. Adding the crispy texture of air fryer Doritos crust gives the most flavorful chicken strips. Our kitchen team inhaled the first test batch! We couldn’t believe how delicious these were and kids will be asking for seconds. Be ready to make a second batch because they’re perfect as an appetizer or for dinner. A fresh green healthy salad is a nice balance to this dish or if kids want pasta to pair, then it makes a hearty meal for them. Adults will enjoy them as well because beer pairs perfectly with these as a nacho cheese crusted chicken strip recipe appetizer!
Video: Air Fryer Doritos Crusted Chicken Tenders Recipe
How to Make Air Fryer Doritos Chicken Strips
You can use what ever crushed tortilla chips you want. There’s so many flavor options of chips and so many different brands, the possibilities are endless. Here’s some tips when making these chicken strips:
- Make sure to crush the chips finely. The smaller they are, the better they stick.
- Try to keep the bowl of crushed tortilla strips dry. As you dip the wet egg coated chicken in the chips, they can easily get the crushed chips all mushy.
- Just lay the egg coated chicken in the bowl, then get a spoon and pour the chip coating on top and press it into the chicken. That way, egg doesn’t get mixed into the dry chips.
- Gently move the chip crusted chicken pieces so that the chips don’t fall off.
- More recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Air Fryer Doritos Chicken
- 9 oz. (255 g) Doritos , or any flavor tortilla chips
- 1 egg , beaten
- 2 pounds (910 g) chicken , cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- fresh black pepper to taster
- For dipping: Ranch , sour cream, ketchup, bbq sauce or your favorite sauce
- Place Doritos or tortilla chips in a bag and crush them with a rolling pin into fine pieces. The smaller the chip pieces the better they will stick to the chicken.
- Cut the chicken into thin strips and season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Put the beaten egg into a bowl.
- Dip each chicken strip into the beaten egg then into the crushed Doritos. Gently press the chicken into the crushed tortilla chips, then use the spoon to pour chips over the top of the chicken. Gently press chips into chicken. This method allows the chips to stay dry. If they’re wet, they stick less to the chicken.
- Spray air fryer basket or racks with oil spray. Gently lay chicken pieces in the basket or on the racks. Spray oil spray on top of coated chicken.
- Air Fry at 380°F (195°C) for 15 minutes. Gently turn the chicken pieces and spray the tops with oil spray (don’t turn the chicken too rough or else the Doritos pieces will fall off). Air Fry for additional 3-5 minutes or until the crust is crispy golden brown and chicken is cooked through. Serve with your favorite dip or sauce!
Here’s more –> Easy Chicken Strip Recipes
More awesome chicken recipes for you to enjoy!