Combine an easy chicken soup recipe with cream of mushroom soup and optional herbs and what you have is comfort in a bowl. This is one of those soups that can re-fuel you on those cold winter days when you’re craving a hearty creamy chicken recipe that’s full of sliced mushrooms in every bite. The earthy comfort of dried herbs makes this chicken soup recipe extra wonderful. Best of all, this recipe is from scratch and super fresh and delicious.
So easy to make this cream chicken and mushroom soup. Watch the video:
Though this chicken mushroom soup has a decadent dose of whipping cream, you can substitute with low fat milk, though the texture and flavor of the soup will be less rich and decadent. We’ve tried it with both and results a are always still delicious! For added flavor, use boneless chicken thighs or use boneless skinless chicken breasts for a slightly lower fat version. The reason why this recipe has so much flavor is because we sauté the chicken first, which brings out a ton of flavor and aroma to the soup. So rather than just “boil the chicken”, this creamy mushroom soup simmers on low heat with fragrant sautéed chicken and mushrooms! The recipe uses dried herbs, but if you’re able to source fresh herbs, that’s even better! The fresh herbs will make this cream of chicken mushroom soup even brighter and fresher.
Add some crusty bread to dip into the soup or serve the soup in bread bowls to make it a complete meal. This soup is clean tasting without any thickeners or corn starch in it. But if you like a thicker creamy chicken mushroom soup, just simmer it for a little longer or add your choice of thickener.
Creamy Chicken Mushroom Soup
Yield: Serves 4
Total Time: 20 min
Read post for more recipe details
- 1 pound (455g) chicken (boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs), cut into small bite sized pieces
- 1 (8 oz - 226g) package of whole mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups (946ml) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (120ml) heavy whipping cream
- Clean and slice mushrooms. Set aside.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high head and then add oil. Stir in onions and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Add chicken and cook chicken for about 2 minutes. Add salt, pepper, thyme, oregano and mushrooms. Stir and cook until mushrooms become soft.
- Add chicken broth and heavy whipping cream. Stir together with chicken and bring to boil, then immediately lower heat to a simmer.
- Simmer soup for 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and the flavors are combined. Add additional salt to taste.