Easy Creamy Chicken Mushroom Soup Recipe
Combine an easy chicken soup recipe with cream of mushroom soup and optional herbs and what you have is comfort in a bowl. This is one of those soups that can re-fuel you on those cold winter days when you’re craving a hearty creamy chicken recipe that’s full of sliced mushrooms in every bite. The earthy comfort of dried herbs makes this chicken soup recipe extra wonderful. Best of all, this recipe is from scratch and super fresh and delicious.
VIDEO: Cream of chicken and mushroom soup
Best Chicken Soup to Warm the Soul
Though this chicken mushroom soup has a decadent dose of whipping cream, you can substitute with low fat milk, though the texture and flavor of the soup will be less rich and decadent. We’ve tried it with both and results a are always still delicious! For added flavor, use boneless chicken thighs or use boneless skinless chicken breasts for a slightly lower fat version. The reason why this recipe has so much flavor is because we sauté the chicken first, which brings out a ton of flavor and aroma to the soup. So rather than just “boil the chicken”, this creamy mushroom soup simmers on low heat with fragrant sautéed chicken and mushrooms! The recipe uses dried herbs, but if you’re able to source fresh herbs, that’s even better! The fresh herbs will make this soup even brighter and fresher.
How to Make Creamy Chicken Mushroom Soup
- Start by sautéing the onions and garlic.
- Add chicken and cook until brown and fragrant. This is what adds flavor to the soup.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté with the chicken. Read recipe details below in the recipe box and step by step photos.
Add some crusty bread to dip into the soup or serve the soup in bread bowls to make it a complete meal. This soup is clean tasting without any thickeners or corn starch in it. But if you like a thicker creamy chicken mushroom soup, just simmer it for a little longer or add your choice of thickener.
Check out all our Easy Soup Recipes Here:
This recipe was originally published in 2014 and re-published in 2019 with new photos and an awesome video!
Read post for more recipe details
- 1 pound chicken (boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs) (455g) , cut into small bite sized pieces
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms (226g)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil (30ml)
- 1/2 onion , diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced or crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper , or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (15ml)
- 4 cups chicken stock (946ml)
- 1/2 cup cream (120ml) (or half & half or milk)
- 2 Tablespoons flour (30ml) or corn starch
- Clean and slice mushrooms. Set aside.
Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and then add oil. Stir in onions and garlic and cook until translucent.
Add chicken and cook chicken for about 2 minutes. Add salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, worcestershire sauce, and mushrooms. Stir and cook until mushrooms become soft.
Whisk flour/cornstarch into the cream (half & half or milk) until fully incorporated. Then add chicken broth and cream into the soup. Stir together with chicken and bring to boil, then immediately lower heat to a simmer.
Simmer soup for 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked, soup is thick and the flavors are combined. Add additional salt to taste.