Best Tuna Noodle Casserole
Easy Tuna Casserole Recipe
This is one of our most favorite and popular family pasta recipes! Even kids love our tuna casserole recipe with egg noodles. The flavor, a little extra cheese and crunchy top is a family perfect meal. This fantastic easy dinner casserole is a wonderful warm comfort food to fill everyones bellies. It’s so satisfying to eat and best of all, it’s really quick and easy to put together.
Video: Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipes
What Type of Tuna to Use?
Loaded with creamy flavor and cheese, the noodles are so satisfying. But the type of tuna you choose really makes a difference. We like to use solid albacore or tuna for so many reasons. First of all, the firm texture is fantastic and really meaty and flavorful. Second of all, albacore tuna isn’t as fishy smelling so baking the tuna will sell less. Finally, you just get more tuna in the can when compared to regular chunk or light tuna which is often a combination of various other fish/tuna species.
Recipe: How to Make Tuna Noodle Casserole
Par Boil the noodles, but don’t cook them too much. A little al dente is perfect. Cook the vegetables and make the base sauce.
Add the milk to make the sauce creamy. Then add the albacore tuna.
Add the cheese, noodles and tuna mixture together in the baking vessel. Top with bread crumbs and bake! Voila! This tuna casserole recipe is so easy and delicious!
Best Tuna Casserole
You can prepare this casserole in advance. But when baking the next day, add extra time because the whole casserole is cold.
For the tuna, we found a big flavor and texture difference by using the solid white chunk albacore tuna vs the chunk light style tunas. Feel free to use more or less tuna depending on your personal taste preference.
- 8 oz. (227 g) dried, uncooked wide egg noodles
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 onion , diced
- 2 stalks celery , diced
- 1 cup (240 ml) frozen peas and carrots , thawed
- 3 cloves garlic , minced (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 2 cups (480 ml) chicken broth
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (30 g) all-purpose flour
- 12 oz. (340 g) solid canned tuna , drained- two 6 oz. cans
- 2 cups (226 g) grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) black pepper
- 1 cup (240 ml) bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup (50 g) grated parmesan cheese
- 3 Tablespoons (45 g) butter , melted
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil or butter a 9×13 pan.
- Cook the pasta: Cook egg noodles according to package instructions. Drain and pour into the prepared 9×13 pan.
- Make the crumb topping: In bowl combine bread crumbs, melted butter and parmesan cheese. set aside.
- Make the filling: Heat large skillet on medium-high heat. Add oil and cook onions and celery until softened. Add peas/carrots, garlic and chicken broth. Stir and bring mixture to a simmer.
- Whisk flour into the milk, then add the whisked mixture into the simmering pan with the veggies and broth. Stirring regularly, cook until mixture thickens, then add tuna, salt and pepper. Remove from heat and taste the mixture. Add more salt/pepper if needed.
- Pour the tuna mixture into the pasta pan and stir in the cheese. Top the pan with the bread crumb mixture.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and crispy brown. Serve warm.