Wow, if you like tuna you’re going to love this super easy tuna patty recipe! These tuna fish patties are absolutely delicious and everyone in the kitchen devoured them before we could even try them in a sandwich. Oh well, just meant that we had to make another delicious batch!
How to Make Tuna Fish Patties
The spices and other veggies added to the tuna makes these so flavorful. Crisping them on the skillet makes the outside crust amazing and crispy. Seriously these are so good by themselves but to make it more of a healthy complete meal, make a tuna patty salad! It’s a low carb delicious salad with plenty of protein. And if you’re a seafood lover, these patties also make a great sandwich! These tuna patties are paleo and perfect for the Keto diet or paleon diet. They are also the perfect tuna recipe for the pescatarian diet!
Video: Easy Tuna Patties Recipe
Tuna Fish Cakes Recipe or Tuna Fish Patties?
Someone asked us if tuna cakes are the same as patties. Yes, they’re basically the same concept where both are patties of minced or chopped fish that are made into a patty and then fried. Sometimes they’re baked in the oven. So sure, you can definitely call these tuna fish cakes if you want. We call them delicious!
Click here for more Seafood Recipes
Click here for more Paleo Recipes
We texture of the albacore tuna the best for this recipe. Try to avoid the mushy canned tuna.
The amount of egg will vary depending on the dryness of your tuna and the absorption of the bread crumbs or panko. If you are unsure, start with 2 eggs, and if the mixture seems too dry to easily form into patties, add a 3rd egg.
- 3 cans albacore tuna , (5 ounce-142g cans) drained
- 2-3 large eggs *see note above
- zest of 1 medium lemon
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup panko or regular bread crumbs
- 3 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 stalk celery , finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried herbs (oregano, dill, basil, thyme or any combo)
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt , or to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil , for frying (or more if needed)
- (optional for serving) tarter sauce, mayo, ranch, lemon slices
In a bowl, combine the eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice, panko or bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, celery, onion, garlic powder, dried herbs, salt and pepper. Stir the mixture to make sure everything is combined. Gently fold in the tuna until just combined.
- Shape the tuna mixture into patties about 2-inches (5cm) wide x 1/2-inch thick (1.25cm). If patties are too soft to handle, chill them for at about 1 hour or until firm. This will make them easier to handle during frying.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Fry both sides of the tuna patties until they are golden brown, about 5 minutes per side.
- Serve with sauces and/or lemon slices.
- Easy substitutions: Crushed saltines or other savory cracker for the bread crumbs. Fresh herbs for the dried herbs. Shallots or green onions for the onions.