Here’s a kick0butt tuna fish sandwich for ya. We love Mom’s tuna salad recipe because it’s made from the heart and she fills it with tons of delicious love. Her tuna salad has delicious chunks of celery, sweet relish (or chopped dill pickles) and fresh herbs. It’s the fresh herbs that really makes her recipe for tuna salad so great. Everything about it is amazing and it’s hard to not sneak a few spoonfuls before it’s shared with others. That’s why we have to make a big batch! It’s such an easy tuna salad recipe that we make ahead of time because it’s great in tuna salad sandwiches. We are obsessed with tuna sandwiches, alfalfa sprouts and a few slices of cucumber. It’s the perfect and satisfying lunch. Sometimes we’ll mix it up a bit and add it on a bed of crisp salad greens. It’s so good and flavorful that we don’t even need salad dressing! and of course if here’s any let over at all, Dad will make it into his absolute favorite tuna melt. But that’s only if there’s any leftover and if there isn’t, he just has to make a separate batch for himself for his week of tuna melts!
Video of Mom’s delicious and famous tuna salad recipe!
Tuna fish sandwiches are also a great picnic recipe that can be pre-made in big batches, chilled and brought out to serve for large groups. For picnics where we bring tuna salad as a potluck, we’ll serve it with some really great crackers or potato chips. Even a side of veggies like carrots and celery is a hit. Everyone loves tuna on crackers instead of a tuna fish sandwich and it’s a light and healthy way to share a crowd favorite at a potluck.
- 10 ounces tuna drained (2 cans)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise , or more depending on how creamy you want it to be
- 1 large stalk celery , diced
- 2 Tablespoons sweet relish or diced dill pickles
- 2 Tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced parsley
- salt , to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper , to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill , or 1 teaspoon (5ml minced fresh dill) - (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce or Sriracha sauce - optional
- freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste - (optional)
- Add drained tuna to bowl and gently break up large chunks.
- Add mayonnaise, celery, relish or pickles, red onion, mustard, parsley, salt, pepper and/or optional dill, hot sauce, and lemon juice
- Gently stir everything together and serve in a sandwich, with crackers or on a salad. Or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use. Enjoy!