Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy
Best Smashed Potatoes Recipe
Smashed potatoes with mushroom gravy is outstanding! Only thing we can say is to make this asap. We absolutely love mushroom gravy. It’s hard to deny the fact that we can douse almost anything with our homemade mushroom gravy recipe. With some leftover baby potatoes in the test kitchen, we decided to make some crispy amazing bites. And then pour our yummy mushroom gravy all over it. Wow, it was a total hit and it’s such a hearty satisfying meal! It doesn’t take much time to whip up a batch of these. We like to pre-boil the potatoes a few days ahead of time and store them in the fridge. That way we just need to smash them and crisp them up the day we want to eat them.
Video: Smashed Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy:
You can do the same with the delicious mushroom gravy too and you’ll have an instant dinner when you get home. Add some roast chicken to these crispy smashed potatoes with mushroom gravy and you have an absolutely wonderful supper for the whole family.
Smashed Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy
For the Potatoes:
- 1 pound (454 g) baby potatoes (preferably baby golds, fingerlings, etc...)
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) oil
- Kosher salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- In saucepan, melt 2 Tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until golden and excess mushroom liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and remaining butter (4 tablespoons). Cook for about 1 minute.Stir in the flour, cooking and stirring to remove lumps. Add about 1/2 cup of beef stock, whisking until incorporated.
- Increase heat to High. Slowly pour in the remaining broth and whisk until well combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste (the saltiness and flavors will concentrate some when it reduces down).When gravy starts to boil, reduce heat to low, stirring often, simmer until thickened, about 10-20 minutes depending on your preferred thickness. Check for seasoning and salt again if needed.
- Boil the potatoes: Add potatoes to a large pot, fill with water and bring to a boil. Cook for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender, but not overcooked. Piece potatoes with a fork to test texture so it’s soft enough to smash. Cooking times will vary depending on the size of your potato.
- Drain potatoes and allow them to cool to touch. Lay palm of your hand over potato and gently smash down until it’s flat.
- Crisp the Potatoes: Heat large skillet on medium high heat and then add oil. Place smashed potatoes in single layer on the pan and cook until both sides are crispy.Serve mushroom gravy over the smashed potatoes. Enjoy!
Click Here for all our–> Awesome Chicken Recipes
Click Here for all our Recipes with Mushrooms:
Click here for all our–> Yummy Appetizer Recipes