Skillet Chicken with Creamy Garlic Mushroom Sauce
Our skillet creamy chicken mushroom recipe is a hit. Families love this and the sauce is super tasty.
Easy Skillet Chicken Recipe with Mushroom Sauce
Any type of skillet chicken and creamy garlic sauce is at the top of quick and easy dinner list. Previously our hugely popular skillet creamy garlic chicken went completely viral because it’s such a delicious recipe and so many of our readers had success with it. So we’re working non-stop to create more easy chicken recipes with creamy sauces. This time it’s all about our homemade sauce! This skillet chicken with creamy garlic mushroom sauce isn’t green, doesn’t have all the pretty colors from veggies, but it’s certainly delicious. Just add this saucy, sexy chicken dish to a plate with some green broccoli or green beans or even a green salad. Now you’ve just “kinda” made it a little healthier. LOL.
Video: Chicken with Creamy Garlic Mushroom Sauce:
Tips for How to Make Skillet Chicken Recipe
- Some chicken breasts are very large and thick. Slice them in half lengthwise to make them thinner. This will ensure that the chicken will cook all the way through.
- Make sure to have all the chicken cut to about the same size. This consistency in size will provide even cooking.
- You can use any type of mushroom but these are our favorites: white button mushrooms, baby Bella brown mushrooms or chopped portabella mushrooms.
- Serve with pasta, rice, couscous or quinoa.
Best Chicken and Creamy Garlic Sauce with Mushrooms
The flavors of this creamy garlic mushroom sauce is outstanding. Oh joy to creamy garlic sauces. This one is cooked with the sautéed mushrooms where their flavors are concentrated and fantastic. Do you know of any mushroom haters? Well maybe this is the sauce that can easily change their minds. And if not, then at least you tried and there’s totally more sauce for you to enjoy. If you really want more sauce or gravy, then just go ahead and double up the sauce portion and you’ll be good to eat. You’ll be swimming in creamy creamy garlic mushroom sauce for days and that’s not a bad thing. Leftovers are great, especially gravy type sauces that you can add on what ever you like.
Skillet Chicken with Creamy, Garlic Mushroom Sauce
- 2 pounds (910 g) Chicken Breasts or Thighs
- Kosher Salt , to taste
- fresh cracked Black Pepper , to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) Paprika
- 1/4 cup (57 g) Butter or Olive Oil , divided
- 8 ounces (227 g) Mushrooms , sliced
- 4-5 cloves (4 cloves) Garlic , minced
- 1/4 cup (30 g) all-purpose Flour
- 2 cups (480 ml) Broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) Heavy Cream
- additional Salt , to taste
- additional Black Pepper , to taste
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) chopped fresh Parsley
- Lemon wedges , optional
- Serve with rice or pasta
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and paprika. Set aside.
- Heat large pan on medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons butter or oil. Add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until the chicken is browned and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan, cover and keep warm.
- In same pan add remaining butter or olive oil, add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are golden and cook off their excess liquid. Add garlic and cook until garlic is fragrant. Whisk in the flour and stir to remove lumps.
- Slowly add broth and heavy cream and whisk constantly until sauce is smooth and free of flour lumps. Cook until the mixture is hot and bubbly, then turn heat down to medium-low. Simmer until the sauce has thickened to your desired texture, usually about 5-10 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken back to the pan and cook until fully heated or just serve the sauce over the chicken.
- Serve with rice or pasta and wedges of lemon. Garnish with chopped parsley.
More Easy Recipes:
- Our popular Skillet Creamy Garlic Chicken with Broccoli Recipe
- Delicious Easy Mushroom Gravy Recipe
- Air Fryer garlic mushrooms
- Skillet mushroom beef and rice
- One-Pot Pork Chops w/ Garlic Mushroom Sauce
- Here’s more awesome skillet recipe ideas! If you made this recipe please share with us on Facebook or Instagram! We’d love to see your delicious creations!
This recipe was originally published in 2017 and re-published in 2021 with updated recipe info.