Skillet Mushroom Beef and Rice
A friend told us that mushroom beef and rice is one of her favorite easy weeknight dinners. She love making it for her kids because everyone in the family enjoyed it so much. So we created this awesome one pot recipe version and we totally understand why her kids love it so much!
Easy Mushroom Beef and Rice Recipe
No matter how many times she makes mushroom beef and rice for dinner, her kids devour it like it’s no body’s business. She said although everyone loves it so much she feels guilty because it’s so easy to make. It doesn’t feel like she’s even cooking. We want to make it fresh without using canned cream of mushroom soup. But you can certainly use it if you want to make prep quick and easier! There’s so much flavor from the earthy mushrooms and ground beef, it’s hard to pass up a second bowl. And it’s all cooked in a creamy sauce so it’s like a mushroom and beef gravy!
Video: Mushroom Beef and Rice Recipe:
Tips for How to Make Mushroom Beef and Rice
- We used heavy whipping cream but you can use a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup to replace the heavy whipping cream. But you’ll have to add some water or milk to water down the condensed soup. Add as much liquid as you want to make the dish to your desired consistency.
- Make sure to use enough seasonings/salt to bring out the flavors. This dish can easily be too bland if you don’t add enough salt.
- Serve the mixture over pasta if you want. It’s great on pasta too!
- Quinoa and couscous are other great grain options to serve with this dish.
- All recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Mushroom Beef & Rice
- 1 pound (454 g) ground beef
- 8 ounces (227 g) mushrooms , sliced (add more if you like!)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) oil
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 small onion , minced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) beef broth
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dried herbs (basil, oregano or Italian style) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt , or more to taste
- lots of fresh cracked black pepper , to taste
- 3 cups (720 ml) cooked rice
- Heat large skillet to medium high heat. Add oil, garlic and onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add beef and mushrooms. Cook until beef and mushrooms are browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add beef broth, heavy cream, worcestershire, dried herbs, salt and black pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until everything is combined and cooked through.
- Serve over hot rice and enjoy!
More Easy Recipe Ideas:
- Air fried stuffed mushrooms
- Skillet chicken with creamy garlic mushroom sauce
- Our popular–> Mushroom Recipes
- Click Here for more—> One Pot or Skillet Recipes
- Kids love pasta!—> More Pasta Recipes.
- This recipe was originally published in 2018 and republished with updated video.
- Have you tried beef sukiyaki yet? Here’s a great recipe.