Smash Burger Tacos (Big Mac Tacos)
Ok, this is crazy good. The smash burger tacos are viral on Tik Tok and we just had to try it. It’s also known as big mac tacos. With the homemade sauce, this really is fantastic. Give this big mac smashburger a try!
What are Big Mac Smash Burger Tacos?
They’re a super popular and crazy delicious taco that tastes like a big mac. It’s essentially burger meat that’s smashed onto the tortilla and cooked on a hot pan. So it’s like a thin burger patty that’s in between the tortillas. The fillings are exactly what you would see on a cheeseburger or big mac. The burger sauce that’s like a thousand island dressing is what really takes the flavors to being like a big mac. But instead of being in a hamburger bun, this viral sensation is like an animal style burger but in taco form.
Video: Smash Burger Tacos or Big Mac Smashburger Tacos
Homemade Burger Sauce (Thousand Island Dressing Sauce)
Our homemade burger sauce is so quick and simple, it’s going to be a favorite condiment that lives in your fridge. It’s basically like a chunky thousand island dressing. Best of all, the flavors really do resemble that of the popular burger chain hamburger. You can customize the sauce to your preferred texture and flavors. Here’s some basic ingredients that you can add or omit when making the sauce:
- Mayonnaise is the base of the sauce. But if an alternative is using greek yogurt or even sour cream.
- Mustard give some color and tang to the flavors. You can use vinegar to replace the mustard.
- Ketchup gives the pink color and the sweetness. You can replace it with some tomato sauce if you don’t want the sweetness.
- Add some brown sugar if you want your sauce sweeter.
- Minced onions gives a nice zesty flavor. If you don’t like onions, leave it out.
- Use some relish or minced pickles
- A splash or two of Worcestershire sauce gives more umami. You might even like a splash of soy sauce.
- Love spicy? Add some hot sauce to it.
Tips on Making Big Mac Smash Burger Tacos
- You really want a hot pan. Make sure to pre-heat your pan so the meat can get a great sear.
- When smashing or spreading the raw meat on the tortillas, make sure they’re not too thick. And the meat will shrink, so spread the meat all the way to the edges of the tortilla.
- You don’t need any extra oil because when cooking the beef, it will release fat and when you flip to cook the tortilla side, it’s just enough oil.
- Use a thin slice of American cheese if you want it to melt faster. You can use thicker artisan cuts of cheese, but it’ll take a little longer to melt.
- Other sauce: you don’t have to use the homemade sauce we list below. Use bbq sauce, ranch or any of your favorite burger sauces.
- All smash burger tacos recipe details are in the recipe box below. And there’s step by step photos too for you to follow along during cooking.
Smash Burger Tacos (aka Big Mac Smash Burger Tacos)
- 1 lb. (454 g) ground beef
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) garlic powder , or to taste
- 6 (5-6 inch) (13-15 cm) flour or corn tortillas
- Salt , to taste
- Ground black pepper , to taste
Burger Toppings (all optional)
- Burger sauce (see recipe below)
- 6 slices American cheese or cheese of choice
- Shredded lettuce
- Tomato slices
- sliced onions
- ketchup, mustard , mayo, bbq sauce, thousand island, etc.
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) mayo
- 1/4 cup (60) ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) mustard
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) minced onion , optional
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) pickle relish , or minced pickles
- Add beef in bowl and combine garlic powder. Stir to combine well.
- Spread about 1/4 cup of beef on tortilla. Press the meat into the tortilla until it reaches the edges of the tortilla. Repeat this process for all the meat and tortillas.
- Season the top of the meat with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat. Lay tortilla with meat side facing down on the skillet. Using a spatula, press down on the tortilla or “smash it down” so beef lays flat and presses into the tortilla.
- Cook the meat for about 2-3 minutes or until the meat is cooked to your liking.
- Flip the tortilla so the meat side if facing up. This will cook the other side of the tortilla. Cook the tortilla for about 1 minute or until the tortilla is crisp.
- For a cheeseburger taco, add a slice of cheese and cover the pan with a lid for about 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
- Immediately remove the tortilla and top the meat side with your favorite burger toppings. Gently fold the taco over. Repeat for all the tortillas and meat. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information per Serving
Best Tortillas for SmashBurger Tacos?
We like using flour Tortillas because they crisp quickly without alot of oil. Also, they’re softer so they can fold into the taco shape easier. But if you’re a fan of corn tortillas, that’s great too! You might need a add a little more oil when you flip to the tortilla side on the pan. The extra oil will help make the corn tortilla crispier. Hope you enjoy this big mac smashburger!
Different burger toppings
When customizing any burger, the same rules apply to this hamburger smash taco. Add what ever favorite toppings that you want. Treat it as it’s a regular burger and you’ll love it!