Easy Chili Mac and Cheese Recipe
Looking for a quick and easy chili mac recipe for dinner? Look no further because our stove top chili mac and cheese recipe is one of our most popular comfort food recipes and best of all, kids love this! You can make it on the stove top and not even have to heat up your oven! It’s a big pot of cheesy chili macaroni and cheese that can feed a whole family. The flavors of the homemade chili with cheese and macaroni always hits the spot. If you don’t want to add beans, just remove them from the pot. There’s someone for everyone!
Video: Best Chili Mac and Cheese
Can you freeze Chili Mac and Cheese?
Yes! It’s the perfect make ahead dish too. Just assemble it a day ahead and when you’re ready to bake you can combine the cooked macaroni with the chili and cheese. Or you can assemble the whole thing and before you heat it up on the stove top or in the oven. If you have leftover stove top mac and cheese, you can easily freeze it. When you’re ready to eat, thaw it a day ahead of time and just re-heat. Add some extra cheese if you like after freezing and re-heating because it’s so good with more cheese.
How to Make Stove Top Chili Mac and Cheese
The best part about our recipe is that you can make it all on the stove top and in one pot. You can add beans if you like. Don’t like beans? You can easily omit the beans and it’s still a great tasting chili Mac and cheese with no beans. We love sautéing everything on the stop top for more flavor. Add as much cheese as you like! The full recipe is in the recipe box below and you can print it out.
One Pot Chili Mac & Cheese
- 8 oz. (227 g) Elbow Macaroni Pasta , uncooked
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) Olive Oil
- 1 pound (4534 g) ground Beef
- 1 small (1 small) Onion , diced
- 4 cloves (4 cloves) Garlic , minced
- 30 oz. (850 g) Tomato sauce , (two 15 oz. cans or @ 4 cups) crushed, diced or regular
- 15 oz. (425 g) canned Beans (black, pinto, cannellini, etc…), drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) Oregano leaves
- Kosher Salt , to taste
- fresh cracked Black Pepper
- 1-2 cups (113-226 g) grated Cheddar Cheese
- Additional cheese
- sour cream
- red onions
- green onions
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season well with salt. Add pasta and cook until al dente, usually about 8-12 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and set pasta aside.
- Return pot to stove on medium-high heat. Add olive oil, then add ground beef. Break up beef into small chunks and cook until browned. Add onion and garlic. Cook onions and garlic until fragrant and soft.
- Add tomato sauce, beans, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Bring to a simmer, give it a good even stir and lower heat to continue simmering. Cook for about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir the cooked pasta and cheese into the chili. Cook for another minute or so until the pasta is warmed through and cheese is melted. Serve with your favorite toppings.
Check out more of our—> Easy One Pot Recipes