Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Restaurant quality soup doesn’t have to be complicated. Seriously, this instant pot chicken tortilla soup recipe is so quick to throw together. In about 30 minutes, you can have multiple bowls of soup for your family. Making pressure cooker chicken tortilla soup is so budget friendly and super delicious.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe in Pressure Cooker
We just love cooking chicken soup in the instant pot or any pressure cooker. If you’re cooking this recipe for chicken tortilla soup in the Instant Pot, you just have to sear the chicken, onions and garlic, then set the pressure on the cooker and then you can walk away. The advantage to the Instant Pot is that it has a saute function that will add more flavor to the soup when you sear the chicken. The pressure cooker makes the whole process so quick and yummy. Just being able to sear the chicken and aromatics is a game changer.
Looking for a slow cooker version?
If you want to make this in a slow cooker, we have the slow cooker chicken tortilla soup recipe version. It’s great if you need to leave the house for a few hours and let the soup cook slowly. That way you can walk away from the soup and come home to a gorgeous pot of warm, hearty Mexican chicken soup.
Video: Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Tips for How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Using boneless skinless chicken breast is the healthiest option for the chicken soup.
- For more flavor, use chicken thighs that are boneless and skinless. The rich flavor of dark meat chicken thighs really comes through.
- Make the soup as hearty as you like by adding a can of drained beans, extra veggies or more chicken.
- To make this more low carb, don’t serve it with any tortilla chips. Or if you do, try some keto chips for that added crunch.
- If you want a spicy version of this pressure cooker chicken tortilla soup, add about 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder. Or you can serve hot sauce on the side.
- All instant pot chicken tortilla soup recipe details for this tasty chicken soup are in the recipe box below along with photos.
- If you want an easy stove top soup with similar flavors, try our stove top taco soup in 30 minutes.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
FOR THE SOUP:
- 1 pound (454 g) boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 cups (710 ml) chicken broth
- 14.5 ounces (411 g) diced or crushed tomatoes
- 7 ounces (200 g) chopped green chiles (one small can)
- 14 oz. canned whole kernel corn , or 1 large ear of corn shucked (or 1 cup of frozen corn)
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 ml) ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) paprika
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) salt (or more to taste after)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) black pepper
FOR SERVING AND TOPPING:
- crushed tortilla chips or gluten free tortilla chips
- fresh minced cilantro (optional)
- finely sliced cabbage (optional)
- cheese (optional)
- hot sauce or fresh chopped jalapeno (optional)
- fresh lime juice (optional)
- Turn Instant Pot on “Saute”, and add oil. Saute chicken, onions and garlic until soft
- Add broth, tomatoes, green chiles, corn, Worcestershire sauce, ground cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Quick or Natural release. (These are the steps we did for our Instant Pot- Press “Cancel” to stop the “Saute” setting. Press the “Manual” button. Set the time to 15 minutes.)
- After the cooking time is complete, press “Cancel” and carefully release the pressure.
- Once pressure completely releases, open lid and gently shred the chicken. If you like cubed chicken in your soup, you can remove the chicken then cut it into small bite sized pieces and then return to the broth.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Garnish soup with the tortilla chips and your favorite toppings.
Nutrition Information per Serving
Add delicious toppings to the soup
What makes this instant pot chicken tortilla soup so yummy is that you can add what ever extra toppings on top. Here’s some yummy ideas to take the soup to another level:
- Tortilla chips really add great flavor and crunch. But try Doritos or any other brand of chips that have different flavors. There’s so many flavors of tortilla chips in the market. Have fun and mix it up with different flavors.
- To make this soup creamier, add about a Tablespoon of sour cream in each bowl.
- Extra cheese never hurt anyone. 🙂 So choose between all the different types of cheeses to top the soup with.
- Love avocado? a few slices or cubes of avocado are great in the soup too.
Freezing the soup
If you have leftovers, freeze them in freezer safe, air tight, microwave safe containers. These are great to freeze in individual servings and take to work for lunch. Allow the soup to thaw a bit first, then just microwave them at work. Or you can heat the instant pot chicken tortilla soup in a pan.
Make this soup ahead of time
If you’re having a party, this is the perfect soup to make ahead of time. Just store it in the pot that you plan on serving it in. It makes the planning that much easier! You can make this the day ahead and it’s all ready to go for your party. BTW, it’s a great game day soup or Super Bowl party soup. The flavors go well with all your chicken wings and taco spread!