Crispy chicken sandwiches are always a favorite on our lunch rotation. It’s basically a juicy fried piece of chicken in a sandwich and that alone is a fantastic meal. But to mix up the menu, we’ve had so many different versions of chicken sandwiches, all of which are favorites. This version is a beauty not just in the look of it, but in the taste! Add some bbq sauce, a few slices of crispy bacon, jalapeños if you like heat and top it all with our tangy slaw. Our crispy chicken bbq bacon sandwich recipe can be a beast, depending on how much to put on it. But regardless of what it looks like, it’s the taste that matters and it’s beyond delicious. The juicy crispy chicken with the sweet bbq sauce and salty bacon is a hit. To make it a little more healthy, we’ve gotta add some color and veggies, right? But not that healthy mattered here but the slaw we added was just more for color. It’s a fantastic layer of cool, crunchy tang and it balances out all the rich flavors of this amazing bbq chicken sandwich. It’s hard to resist because all the flavors in each bite really come alive and you’ll understand why it’s so easy to inhale this fortress of a chicken sandwich.
Video of our Crispy Chicken BBQ Bacon Sandwich:
The best pairing for this is definitely a cold beer, so have one on hand. The cold beer helps wash down everything perfectly. So if you love fried chicken, great bbq sauce AND bacon, then what you have is all the perfect chicken sandwich. Or maybe add a few potato chips or fries and then it’ll become the perfect afternoon lunch to enjoy with friends in the outdoors. And then maybe hit the gym or go for a long walk afterwards to burn off some calories! LOL.
Check out a Few of our Favorite Frying Tools:
Some tools make frying all the more enjoyable. Here’s some of the favorites:
Portable Butane Burner – No need to fry in the house. Take this little bad boy outside and fry it the great outside.
Bamboo Handled Strainer – The handle doesn’t get too hot and it strains like a dream.
Crispy Chicken BBQ Bacon Sandwich
- 2 pounds (910 g) chicken breasts , cut in half lengthwise
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) buttermilk , for soaking
- 1 cup (125 g) flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) paprika
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) kosher salt , or to taste
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) black pepper , fresh cracked if possible
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried thyme leaves or oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) cayenne
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) buttermilk , for the batter
- Oil for frying
- 8-12 slices (8 slices) bacon , cooked
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) bbq sauce (approximately)
- 6 (6 ) Burger buns
- slice (slice) jalapeños (optional) - fresh or pickled
For the Tangy Slaw:
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) apple cider vinegar or regular vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) smoked paprika
- black pepper , fresh cracked if possible
- 2 cups (140 g) very thinly shredded cabbage (regular, purple or napa)
- 1 small (1 small) carrot , shredded
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) minced parsley (optional)
- additional salt , to taste
- Pat dry chicken breasts. Soak chicken breasts in the 3/4 cup of buttermilk for about 30 minutes in fridge.
- While chicken is soaking, make the slaw: In bowl, combine all the slaw ingredients (apple cider vinegar, olive oil, sugar, garlic salt, onion salt, smoked paprika, black pepper, cabbage, carrot, parsley, and salt). Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, paprika, salt, pepper, thyme or oregano, garlic powder, and cayenne. Add the 2 Tablespoons of buttermilk and mix together, breaking up the big clumps. The flour mixture will clumpy but should still be dry-ish. The clumps will create a great texture during frying.
- Heat a large skillet with about 1/2 inch high of frying oil. Heat oil to 375°F.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk soak and dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, making sure to coat the chicken completely. Shake off excess flour and fry the chicken in batches until golden.
- Drain the fried chicken on paper towels and just after it is removed from the oil.
- Assemble the sandwich: Add a piece of crispy chicken to a bun, top it with bbq sauce, add a few slices of bacon, jalapeño and top with tangy slaw and with the bun top. Phenomenal sandwich to enjoy!