Shrimp Teriyaki Skewers
Love grilling seafood in the Summer? These shrimp teriyaki skewers are a fantastic and delicious way to celebrate the season.
Shrimp Teriyaki Skewers Recipe with Vegetables
Previously our chicken teriyaki skewers with Pineapple and our chipotle Shrimp skewers were so popular, we realized we wanted to test our a teriyaki shrimp recipe on skewers too. And boy, we’re so glad we did. The teriyaki sauce on the shrimp is fantastic, especially when it’s cooked to a nice crisp and char on the grill. If you’re a seafood lover and looking for a great Summer shrimp recipe to cook on the grill or bbq, this shrimp teriyaki skewers recipe is it! The sweet pineapple and veggies cooked in the teriyaki sauce is great, combined with the smoky char of the wonderful shrimp teriyaki skewers. Serve these skewers to some rice, on top of a green salad or with a side of potato salad or coleslaw.
Video: Shrimp Teriyaki Skewers Recipe:
How to Make BBQ Shrimp Skewers Kebabs (Tips)
- Soak the wooden skewers for at least 30 minutes in cold water. This will help minimize burning of the skewers
- Cut the vegetables about the same size or smaller than the shrimp so that everything will cook evenly. Shrimp cooks quick, so you want to make sure the veggies are cooked at the same time as the shrimp. You don’t want raw veggies!
- Use bell peppers, zucchini, onions or pineapple. These veggies cook quicker than most other vegetables.
- Don’t use potatoes or firm starchy veggies. They won’t cook that quick.
- You can make these skewers a day ahead and just grill them the next day.
Best Grill & BBQ Tools for Shrimp teriyaki skewers:
Here’s some of the favorites for grilling skewers and beyond:
Avoid BBQ Tool Sets. We’ve yet to find a set where we love everything in it. Either the spatula or the tongs or the brush is wonky. Or there is stuff in there I never need. Do yourself a favor and just buy what you need a la carte. For grilling tongs, these bad boys are awesome.
Have a grilling or BBQ question, you’ll most likely find an answer here. The most comprehensive grilling & BBQ book we’ve ever found, by far. He breaks down the science and myths, the tools, solid recipes, perfecting techniques, what’s BBQ competition tricks aren’t worth the extra time at home, and much more. You will be grill & BBQ enlightened.
Grilling should never be confined to the daylight. Love this BBQ light. Good brightness, solid magnets plus clamp option. We’ve gone through 1/2 dozen different grilling lights before falling in love with this one. Be ready to grill all night long.
Love this offset smoker. Solid construction. Isn’t perfect, but with a couple easy modifications it will smoke as well as the $1k + smokers. Can use the main chamber also as a regular charcoal grill. Love using it as a regular grill using lump charcoal or briquettes. Huge cooking surface.
One of the best for the money. Solid gas grill! Nothing like the quick convenience of a good gas grill.
Love these basting brushes. Clean up easy, holds a solid amount of sauce. They are our basting go-to’s.
This recipe was originally published in 2018 and re-published in 2020 with updated photos.
Grilled Teriyaki Shrimp & Veggie Skewers
- 1/2 pound (227 g) medium size shrimp , peeled and de-veined
- 1 (1) zucchini , cut into 1/2” thick slices
- 1/2 (0.5) red onion , cubed
- 1 cup (165 g) cubed pineapple
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) garlic powder or 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) sesame seeds
- Kosher salt , to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper , to taste
- chopped cilantro , garnish
- In bowl combine olive oil, teriyaki sauce, garlic powder/minced garlic and onion powder. Whisk until combined.
- Set aside a tablespoon or two of the marinade for brushing after cooking. Add shrimp into the rest of the marinade, then cover the bowl and marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat grill to high heat. Scrape the grill grates to make sure they are clean.
- Skewer the shrimp, zucchini, onion and pineapple on the skewers. Brush extra marinade on the skewers, especially over the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill the skewers for about 2-4 minutes per side, or until slightly charred and cooked through.
- Brush additional fresh teriyaki sauce (not the marinade the raw shrimp was in) over the skewers. Sprinkle sesame seeds and cilantro. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information per Serving