Why make this homemade apple pear sauce?
First of all, you can’t beat our delicious apple pear sauce recipe because you can’t buy it in the stores! Second of all, our homemade pear sauce with apples is so delicious and flavorful! Those are the main reasons why making pear sauce at home. It just tastes so much better when you make it yourself, especially when adding fresh apples. We didn’t think homemade applesauce could be any better until we found some really over-ripe pears on the counter. Deciding to add ripe pears to our batch of applesauce was not only a great idea, it was incredibly delicious!
Watch Video: How to Make Pear Sauce Recipe:
Can I Freeze Apple Sauce or Pear Sauce?
Yes, you can freeze apple sauce and pear sauce easily. Just freeze it in freezer safe containers, small plastic bags or in ice cube trays. You’ll love this pear sauce because the sweet flavor of pears balances so perfectly with ripe apples and what we have here is a winning combination of the perfect pear applesauce recipe. To amp it up even more, we added some extra spices, which you can easily customize with your favorite spices. What ever you decide on the spices, make it your own and enjoy making homemade pear applesauce to use up all the great fruit of the season! Finally, here’s a fantastic slow cooker apple butter for all you apple loving cooks!
This recipe was originally published in 2016 and re-published in 2019 with updated video.
The softer & riper the pears, the better the flavor. Same for the apples. Even if the apples a on the mealy side, as long as they still have a good taste, they'll be perfect for this Pear-Apple sauce.
- 2 pounds (910g) pears , peeled cored and cut into 1" chunks
- 1 pound (455g) apples , peeled cored and cut into 1" chunks
- 2 tablespoons (30g) packed brown sugar , or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove or nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) water
- lemon zest , from 1 medium lemon
- Combine all ingredients (pears, apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, clove or nutmeg, ginger, vanilla extract, water, and lemon zest) in a sauce pan. Heat over medium-high heat until the mixture reaches a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer on low heat for about 20-30 minutes, or until the pear and apple chunks becomes soft and tender. Cooking time will vary depending on the ripeness of the pears and apples.
- Allow sauce to cool, then mash or blend in a blender/food processor to your preferred texture and consistency.