Grilled Eggplant Recipe
In Summer, we’re swimming in eggplant recipes. This is a special vegetable to us and it’s one of the under-appreciated vegetables because everyone thinks it has no flavor. Well they’re wrong! When eggplants are peaking, one of our favorite ways to eat eggplant is a quick grill on the pan with our favorite garlic-soy marinade. This Asian inspired grilled eggplant recipe is addicting, so you might want to double or even triple the batch if you’re planning on serving it at a dinner party.
Watch the video making the Pan-Grilled Eggplant:
When seared and grilled on a cast iron skillet, the slices of eggplant becomes soft, tender and will melt in your mouth. The best part about this recipe is that the eggplant absorbs the wonderful flavor of the garlic-soy marinade and each bite is savory, tender and delicious. Serve this as a quick and easy vegetable side salad or add it with some brown rice for a simple and healthy eggplant dinner.
This technique is super duper easy and it really brings a fantastic texture to the eggplant that doesn’t make it soggy or bland. That’s one of the problems with people thinking eggplant is soggy. When grilled like this, it’s tender and delicious. Give it a try and it just might be one of your favorite Summer vegetables to grill! It’s the perfect outdoor bbq dish that deserves to sit alongside all the grilled corn and sweet watermelon.
Choose tender eggplants that are not heavily seeded
combine the marinade then coat eggplant before grilling
This post was originally published in 2014 and re-published in 2017 with new video!
Pan-Grilled Eggplant w/ Garlic-Soy Marinade
- 2 large Japanese or Asian eggplants sliced to 1/2" thickness
- minced parsley or minced cilantro for garnish-optional
FOR THE MARINADE:
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) vegetable oil or grape seed oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce or Tamari Soy Sauce for Gluten Free
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) lemon juice
- Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste (fresh cracked if possible)
- Make the marinade: in a large bowl combine oil, garlic, soy sauce, dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix ingredients together well.
- Add the eggplant slices to the marinade and toss to completely coat all sides.
- Heat large skillet or cast iron pan on medium-high heat. Once pan is heated, lay eggplant slices on the pan in a single layer (cook in batches if needed) and grill them for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden and tender. Repeat this process for all the eggplant.Garnish the eggplant with cilantro or parsley. Serve warm.
Enjoy this recipe and if you made it, please share it with us in the comments below. Or share a photo with us on social media!