Salsa Verde Recipe with Tomatillos, Cilantro, Chiles
Our salsa verde recipe is a hit and perfect for parties, nachos and anytime you need an easy appetizer.
Salsa Verde Recipe with Tomatillos
Here’s a green tomatillo salsa recipe that you can add to your favorite Mexican dishes, tacos, burritos, nachos or anything that could use a spoonful of fresh and tasty salsa. This fresh and easy tomatillo salsa recipe is super delicious with tortilla chips or topped on your favorite Mexican recipes. All you need are some fresh tomatillos and few other ingredients like chiles, cilantro, garlic and lime juice. Within a few minutes, you’ll have a recipe for salsa that you can eat every day. This is such a fantastic quick and easy salsa blender recipe that all happens in 15 minutes. Or it might even be quicker if you have all the ingredients prepped. You’ll want to eat it everyday. In fact, have a jar in your fridge for anytime you want a spicy, tangy topping of flavor.
Video: Salsa Verde Recipe
What does tomatillo salsa taste like?
Tomatillo salsa is a little tangier than regular tomato salsa, but the flavors are equally outstanding. They’re perfect on eggs for breakfast or brunch and even great on top of some grilled seafood. Some perfectly cooked filets of fish with some fresh salsa is a quick and healthy way to eat that’s loaded with flavor and low on the fat and calories. You can also adjust flavors in this salsa by adding a little bit less or more of each specific ingredient. So for example, if you like it spicy then just add extra chiles!
This tomatillo salsa can be adjusted for spicy taste. Add as much or as little jalapeño that your taste buds can handle. Enjoy!
Easy Tomatillo Salsa
- 1 pound (455 g) tomatillo , washed and husked
- 1-2 (1 ) jalapeño to taste (or any chili pepper)
- 1 (1 medium) onion
- 3-4 cloves (3 cloves) garlic peeled
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 ml) kosher salt or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) sugar
- about 1 cup (240 ml) loose packed cilantro
- Heat a medium cast iron skillet on medium-high heat. Add the tomatillos, jalapeño, onion and garlic. Char the ingredients until they become soft and crispy dark on the outside skins. After charring, allow ingredients to cool.
- Add all the ingredients (tomatillos, jalapeño, onion, garlic, lime juice, salt, sugar and cilantro) in a blender.Blend salsa until chunky. If you like your salsa more blended and smooth, pulse the ingredients for another 30 seconds.
- Pour salsa into a bowl and serve with your favorite tortilla chips or top on tacos, nachos or enchiladas.
Other Great Mexican Recipes:
- Salsa Recipe with Fresh Tomatoes
- Refreshing Mango Salsa Recipe
- Grilled Breakfast Burritos
- Flavorful Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
This post was originally published in 2015 and republished in 2017 with an updated video. If you love this recipe please share in the comments below to tell us about it on social media! More Mexican Recipes, Healthy Chicken Recipes and Spicy Salsa Recipe.