Chicken Taquitos Recipe
Kids especially love these because it’s the perfect hand food filled with chicken and there’s a dip involved. Bingo!
Video: Chicken Taquitos Recipe
What makes these chicken taquitos so satisfying is that we load them with tons of freshly shredded chicken that’s cooked with fragrant onions and garlic. A touch of Worcestershire or soy sauce adds a great deep flavor to the chicken filling and corn tortillas provide the perfect crunch. Our recipe doesn’t include any cheese on the inside, but feel free to add some shredded cheddar cheese to your hearts desire. Just remember to not add too much cheese because it’ll melt too quickly and ooze out into the oil.
So do we call these chicken taquitos or crispy tacos or flautas? Here’s a great discussion.
More Mexican Recipes here.
This recipe was originally published in 2013 and re-shared with a new video. Enjoy!
Photo Gallery for Rolling Chicken Taquitos Recipe
- 1/2 pound (225g) cooked shredded Chicken breast or leg meat (Recipes here for Baked Chicken or Poached Chicken )
- 1 onion , sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) Worcestershire
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon (5ml) oil for cooking
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 12 corn tortillas ( 6" size)
- Serve with Sour Cream, Fresh Salsa or Guacamole ( Here are recipes for Salsa and Guacamole )
Make Chicken filling:
- Heat large saucepan to medium heat. Add 1 Tablespoon oil, then add onions and garlic. Cook until soft and translucent.
- Add shredded chicken, Worcestershire or soy sauce and stir and cook for about 2 minutes or until everything is combined well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Allow mixture to cool completely.
Roll and Fry Taquitos:
- In large frying pan, add oil until about 1.5" deep. Heat the oil to about 350ºF, or until hot enough when a small piece of tortilla sizzles when dropped in oil.
- Soften the tortillas in oil: Grab two tortillas at a time with a pair of tongs, and dip them for few seconds in the oil. Do not dip too long or tortillas will break apart. Gently lay hot tortillas on paper towels and pile them into a single stack.
- Spoon about 2 Tablespoons of chicken filling in a line across the bottom of the tortillas. Tightly roll them up, then skewer with toothpicks to keep them closed.
- Fry the tacos in the hot oil for about 1-2 minutes or until golden, then turn over and finish frying both sides. Blot taquitos of excess oil on paper towels and serve immediately with sour cream, fresh salsa or guacamole.