Instant Pot Chicken Tacos Recipe
Here’s another family favorite from our Instant pot pressure cooker recipes collection. Easy Instant Pot shredded chicken tacos for the whole family and kids LOVE these! If you’re familiar with any type of pressure cooker then these tacos are going to be a staple. Add all the ingredients to the
Video: Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Chicken Tacos
How To Cook Chicken Tacos in Pressure Cooker
You can use boneless chicken breasts or chicken thighs. We prefer the thighs because there’s more flavor. But if you’re counting calories, boneless chicken breasts are healthier. Some Instant Pots and Pressure cookers have a sautés function. If you want, you can sear the chicken first for a little bit better flavor.
Eat Beyond the Taco: Quesadillas, Enchiladas, Chicken Salads and More!
Our Instant Pot Mexican chicken recipe is so versatil. The eating possibilities is endless, beyond the taco. You can use the chicken in a cheesy quesadilla, tostadas or enchiladas if you have leftovers. Do you eat low carb or keto? If so, you can make a healthy chicken taco salad. You cab mix things up and this recipe won’t ever be boring for your family. That’s why we warned you ahead is time: you just might be eating this a lot!
We have quite a collection of chicken taco recipes for both the Instant Pot, slow cooker or crock pot. Check them out and hope you enjoy these quick and easy chicken dinners as much as we do. We know your family will love it and you’ll have great leftovers for lunch! Thank you!
This recipe was originally published in 2019 and re-published in 2020 with updated video.
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
Chicken thigh or leg meat will be juicer than breast meat, but if you prefer, the breast meat still comes out quite nice. We'll usually prefer boneless, skinless but feel free to use whatever you have available.
For the Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken , preferrably boneless and skinless (*see head note)
- 1 cup tomato sauce or salsa
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , or more to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper , to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder , or to taste (optional, for spicy flavor)
For the Tacos
- 12 soft or hard taco shells *see note below
- lettuce, shredded cabbage, tomato, cheese, salsa, sour cream, or other favorite toppings
- Add everything into Instant Pot (chicken, tomato sauce or salsa, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper and optional chipotle powder). Stir to combine all the spices into the sauce.
- Close the lid, set to high pressure, and after the pressure cooker reaches full pressure, cook for about 15 minutes *depending on size of chicken & preferred doneness. (These are the steps we did for our Instant Pot: Press the "Manual" button. Set the time to 15 minutes and our Instant Pot starts up automatically, counting down the timer after it reaches pressure.)
- Take the chicken pieces out of the Instant Pot, cut into 1-2 inch pieces, then place back in the Instant Pot. Shed with a couple forks to break up the chicken.
- Taste the chicken and add more salt if needed.
- See note below about taco shell options. Build your tacos and serve or have everything in bowls for everyone to make their own tacos.
Check out The Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos Recipe
Here’s some great looking Instant Pot chicken Recipes.